21-Pound Lobster Caught Off Cape Cod Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kleenex: Thanks for posting this Phenomena

I have a few questions ... When I was in Provincetown, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha´s Vineyard and Boston, I had eaten a five pound lobster ... I have eaten lobster in Brittany, France; and in Santiago De Compostela, Galicia, Spain as well as in Cagliari, Sardinia ... All delicious ...

Would such a large specimen be as sweet as a typical Maine Lobster ? Could this be because of this lobster´s diet ? a genetic issue ?

Well, thanks for posting this phenomena ...

Kind regards and have lovely Summer.
Ciao,
Margi. :yum:

Size is a matter of age. The longer the lobster lives, the bigger it gets. If properly prepared, it will be delicious.

It's rather a myth that larger lobsters arent as good as smaller ones.

5 pounds would be considered enormous here and would be hard to find anyway. But still would be great if, like Andy said, its prepared correctly.

I think they should donate the lobster to the aquarium.

most restaurants in the u.s. top out around 3 to 3.5 pound lobsters. i've had a few 3 pounders over the years, and the myth is just that. properly prepared, homarus americanus has no equal, no matter what addie says. :cool:

warmer water european monsters plainly suck in comparison. (still not bad, tho.)

like jenny said, a 5 pounder or better would best be donated to an aquarium to live out it's lucky, long life.

Update!!

It’s a biggie.

The New England Aquarium recently gained a rather large addition to its crustacean collection: a 21-pound lobster.***

A fisherman caught the denizen of the deep while diving in Orleans and sold it to Capt’n Elmer’s Fish Market in that town, which decided to capitalize on the novelty of the monster lobster.

Market owner Michelle Costa said staff held a raffle to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The winner of the raffle would receive 21 pounds of retail-size lobsters and have the chance to accompany fish market staff in the giant lobster’s release, according to a press release.

But the winner, who wished to remain anonymous, declined the lobster feast and wanted the animal donated to the New England Aquarium instead of being released into the wild.

Aquarium spokesman Tony LaCasse said the large animal arrived at the aquarium Monday afternoon. It will be on exhibit in the Cold Marine Gallery after completing a routine quarantine process. He said every new animal at the aquarium is required to go through the 30-day quarantine period.

“It’s in its own huge, big tank by itself,” LaCasse said.

He said the aquarium already houses a lobster of a similar size and that the animals will be rotated in the exhibit....

The more interesting lobsters — those that are orange, calico, cobalt blue, or impressive in size — are sent to exhibit tanks. LaCasse said it can actually be a challenge for visitors to spot a “normal” lobster in the tanks.

He said federal and state authorities have passed stricter regulations to protect the reproductive capacity of large lobsters, because they are “clearly very genetically superior” and are important for breeding purposes in the wild.

He is unsure whether the famous lobster will get a name, and said it depends on the naming practices of the animal’s biologist.

“We have had lobsters who have been named before,” LaCasse said, recalling “Lobzilla,” a 35-pound lobster at the aquarium in the 1980s. “But some of the biologists don’t care to name the animals that they care for.”

Last edited:
I think this is wonderful! The unnamed lobster is almost as big as my dog!

So glad it will be able to enjoy its retirement years in peace, not in drawn butter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom