Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What is the most adventurous thing you've ever done? Something that made you feel like you were stepping off of the edge of a cliff. I don't necessarily mean something like bungee jumping.

We did the Zip Line challange in ALaska.. that was fun adventure for me.
But I think the LONG UP UP UP hill hike we did a few weeks ago was the hardest adventure I'd ever been on. It was only 14 miles long and we had three days to do it but for old fat out of shape me... it was KILLER!!!

There was a place in Australia I used to love to go hiking. Once you parked your vehicle, you hike into a place where you can get into a river bed and... once you're in the river bed (running water with varying levels depending on recent weather), the only way out is to follow it downstream... scrambling over boulders, some as big as small homes. Overhead are eucalypts, tree ferns and a miriad of wild parrots, including both black and white Cockatoos, Rainbow Lorikeets and Kookaburras. At the end of the river bed is a waterfall and the only way down is to traverse the rockface for about 30 yards until you get to a path on safer ground. It's so beautiful there... but pretty adventurous as well.

I also went deep sea fishing once and the boat sank... but I guess that's another adventure.

Most adventurous thing I ever did was marrying a guy I'd known for 2 weeks.
That was early in '91. We're still married.

I once crossed a train bridge on foot. It was about 100' off the ground, and probably 300-400' across (remember the movie Stand by Me?). It doesn't look near as big from the groud though.

I've done lots of stupid/adventurous things while skiing. The most famous was when on Snowshoe mountain in West Virginia. I went down the steepest longest slope on the mountain, and tucked the last part like I was Alberto Tomba. What I didn't know is that at the bottom of the hill was a large jump, and I didn't see it until it was too late. I hit the jump at about 45 mph and launched about 8' in the air for 50' total distance where I planted on my but and slid for another 50'. The moral is always scout the slope your first time before a high speed run!

Let me think...

On a couple different occasions, I have literally stepped off a cliff (rapelling). That's fun, actually, if you're not afraid of heighths.

I've gone on a couple backpacking treks, two treks of 10 days, and one trek of 5 days. It's a great experience.

vagriller said:
I hit the jump at about 45 mph and launched about 8' in the air for 50' total distance where I planted on my but and slid for another 50'.

LOL at the visual... :ROFLMAO: You probably thought you were going pretty well up until then, huh? Skiing is a great adventure. Even when you LOOK like you're in complete control, there are a lot of times you know you're close to the edge of a major yardsale with potentially serious injuries.

Took an aerobatic biplane ride over Napa valley years ago. The plane and the aerial views were so pretty. We did corksrews, barrel rolls, etc. I lost my voice. At least I didn't lose my breakfast ... :-p

lots of backpacking and canoeing trips, many solo, in all seasons, from canada to mexico, maine to california.

i've had survival training in florida, oregon, and ny state.

have flown a cessna single engine, and a beechcraft twin.

have skiied in vermont, nh, ny, nj, pennsylvania, colorado, oregon, and b.c.. (also went off a 25 foot cliff on skiis, on mt hood)

Last edited:
Selling all my worldly goods, sending my cat to live with her father, and moving to England to be with a man I met on the internet.

That was 5 years ago, I'm still here and still with him.

When I was younger, I fulfilled an ambition to visit Petra 'the rose red city, halfas old as time'. It was an awe-inspiring visit - had to get there on donkey-back in those days... the gorge is amazing. I'm glad I went then as I certainly wouldn't feel up to it nowadays as I've got more and more arthritic!
Here are some photographs from a Petra site
http://www.petraphotos.com/

AT 18 I enlisted -- yup, a virginal girl, straight out of high school. I don't think anything matches that for a fear factor.

For physical fear, I have a real fear of heights. Yet I've climbed Olomanu (Help Me Here, Wasabi, I don't know if that's right) in Hawaii, crossed the royal gorge, etc. Now that I'm 51, I've decided I'm not challenging my fear of heights ever again. Ever. I don't need to prove anything to anyone any more. I particularly hate being "hung" from above. (for example, a plane does scare me a bit, but a cable car of the type that suspends you from above terrifies me).

But I still tend to think it is the emotional cliff walking that is scariest.

I went to Europe with 25 people I'd never seen. I went with a group of design students from a local college and had met only the instructor. I had a wonderful time and made some good friends.

I was working at a factory, and was all of a sudden asked out by around 30 guys at once, found out from a friend that there was a bet about who could get me in the sack (scumbags!!) I had accepted one of these dates and was tempted to not go, since I didn't know if he was involved with the date or not... he wasn't and we're married now.

At age 18 I left my jobs and travelled through all of North America for 6 months with my brother and his friend, 37 US states, nearly all the Mexican states and 6 provinces - some of the time I was on my own as well. It nearly killed my parents that I would do that as we only called home once a month to say we were OK. The memory of it helps me to deal with our oldest being in Europe for the last month and she will be there another two months before she comes home totally broke and jobless.

My adventure was quite like Kyles'... I came to Rome to meet Cristiano, whom I had been chatting over ICQ for a month or so. It was the beginning of March 2003, I never left Rome since. (well, except for a few holiday getaways with him:) )

Oh, dear. I didn't mention riding a mule on Molokai. Honest-to-God, at one point you're looking at your foot, and a mile down is crashing surf. I was scared to death. My saving grace was that the mule-skinners asked who was inexperienced with riding. I raised my hand (no pride here). He put me as last person in the "train", just before him and the pack mules. He proceeded to sing the entire way down, riding down hands-free, playing the guitar. It made me feel very secure. To this very day I connect a Bob Nelson song called "Maui Waltz" with that trip (even thought it was Molokai). I was very scared, but also very comforted by the man singing behind me. I hear the Maui waltz, it brings back memories ......

The Z said:
LOL at the visual... :ROFLMAO: You probably thought you were going pretty well up until then, huh? Skiing is a great adventure. Even when you LOOK like you're in complete control, there are a lot of times you know you're close to the edge of a major yardsale with potentially serious injuries.

I was doing good until then. High speed on skis is a real rush for me. But when I saw that jump I thought I was dead! The guy I was skiing with (an accomplished ski racer) commented to someone on my speed approaching the jump.

You know, I have no idea what it would be.

I've jumped off bridges into a river 30 feet below
I've gone skiing plenty of times (even when it was sheer ice - that's an experience...)
White water rafting (with and without the raft - yes we jumped in and shot rapids in just our life jackets, on purpose)
I've used an old (not real big) dam as a water slide
Been up flying in small planes with my uncle
Moved back and forth across the country
Rode out an F5 tornado (not directly in it's path, but in town)
Been out in small boats that had no business being out in the conditions at the time.

None of it really seemed, or seems, out of line to me.

John

Back
Top Bottom