"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The whole thing is ridiculous.

And oh yeah; How about being patted down, felt up and your private parts being touched?
y' talk about extra charges...

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
The fact stands and speaks for itself. If the cost of first went up an equivalent amount, then there i sno discussion to be had.
How do you know the cost of first hasn't gone up? Most legacy airlines' fare structures would make your head spin; i.e you'd never know if the overall price went up or down because it's not static. It's all based on yield management.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Big airlines could levy budget charges | Business | guardian.co.uk
Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #74
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I know rising fuel costs is one reason for the added costs, but I wonder if there is more to it. I flew to California in March to visit my family. While at the airport in Atlanta, on my way there, they announced on CNN that hundreds of planes were being grounded because of something (inaccurate mechanical inspections, I think). Then, on my way home, also at the Atlanta airport, there was an announcement of hundreds of other flights being grounded. Several airlines, hundreds (maybe thouands) of airplanes were affected in just a matter of two weeks time, and I know those weren't the only two times this year that this has happened.

Truthfully, if I were the head of an airline, I would be looking for a way to (as cost efficiently as possible, of course) bring back the public's trust. I would start raising prices only as a last resort. If they were to raise the price of every ticket by the same amount (it wouldn't have to be that much if it affected everyone), it would be more fair than raising prices (through things like luggage fees) for only some people. It would also not be as noticible, since it would be the same for all.

Barbara
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #75
Everymom

At the risk of starting up more arguments I am posting anyway. I can always yank this this post if I am too inflammatory.

Honestly, I read this thread with my mouth hanging open in absolute astonishment. I cannot believe the complaints I am reading. Does anyone here read their ticket? The airline doesn't HAVE to take you anywhere, and you are subject to their rules when you sign the contract (or purchase the ticket). If you don't like their rules, don't fly. If you want to fly, suck it up and let them do their job. I have flown so many times I truly don't believe I could count the number of flights I've been on. And actually, when a lot of this thread was being written...I WAS ON A PLANE! The only folks I have seen having trouble are the ones who ask for it by being belligerent or trying to do something they shouldn't. I just flew an entire ball team of girls and 6 assorted coaches, managers and parents out and had not ONE issue. Why not? Because we followed the rules. No biggie at all.

Corey, if you don't fly why on earth are you complaining? It doesn't affect you so let it go. Are you in a particularly argumentative mood lately? The last two threads I've read where you posted this much have been rather combative. You haven't been over the line or anything, but it baffles me that in both cases you insist that you are not involved but you continued to argue at length in both threads.

Adillo, forgive me, I didn't thoroughly read the second last page of posts so I may have missed something. I sympathize about your plight with the artificial joints. Is it not possible for you to get a statement from your physician that you might hand the security attendants to prevent some issues?

And as for price, well again, do your research and decide for yourself what its worth to you to fly instead of getting there via another method.

I personally feel so blessed that it is possible for me to see things in this world that would never have been possible for me even 100 years ago. The fact that we can so take for granted such an amazing blessing makes me shake my head. How entitled we are. There are people in the world who will only ever see things within reach of their own two feet, or at the most what a 4 legged beastie can carry them to. I just flew 1000 miles, watched my kids play some really excellent softball (4 games) took them to the ocean, let them sail, let them wander a boardwalk and meet people they never otherwise might have met, all in just 3 days. Some of my girls had never been on a plane before, seen the ocean, or been on a boat. They were so joyous I can't even find the words to describe it to you. Definitely worth the paltry monetary price we paid in my opinion.

I am very sorry if I have upset you folks. I know I come across as being a mom and slapping you on the wrist. I have tried to make my point without being nasty or negative so if I have failed please let me know and I will remove this post. I merely want to point out that in this life, we all have choices and decisions to make. To fly is one such choice and act like we are entitled to something like that bothers me greatly.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Alix, I think your post is spot on and can't see ANY reason why it would be removed. It was in no way rude, you were stating your opinion just like everyone else.

I think its wonderful those girls got to take that trip! How exciting for them, especially having never been on a plane or seeing the ocean!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #77
Everymom

Thanks redkitty, I tried very hard not to be rude, I edited myself rather a lot in the hopes that I wouldn't be rude. I just feel it is important for us to realize that some things are in the nature of luxury and blessing and we are not at all entitled to all that we currently have access to. We are as a society very blessed.

And it was such a joyful trip, thanks! The girls made us see things with fresh eyes. They giggled and whooped and laughed and held hands as the planes took off. Their joy was infectious and they won't soon forget that experience.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #78
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Akix - I like your Sig line. - AC
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #79
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm behind you Alix. I love flying. Yes, it is expensive, but you pay for convenience and speed. And the cost isn't always that much compared to other methods. For instance, we are planning to drive to California next month. We will need to pay for gas, oil, food, and hotels. We have the luxury of driving, since we will have the time. Luxury of time isn't generally available for people on business trips, or people with limited time to visit. If we, as a society, are going to live all spread out as we do (as compared to hundreds of years ago when you would most likely die within a few miles of where you were born), we are going to have to pay for it. I love all the "perks" that I have gotten used to when flying (meals and movies the first few times I flew, and snacks and drinks lately), but that's not why I am there. I am on that plane trying to get to a specific destination as quickly as possible. If I have to give something up, I would definitely choose to give up amenities over safety.

Barbara
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
If I have to give something up, I would definitely choose to give up amenities over safety.

Barbara
I feel the same way!