Allergies. Do you have them? Natural remedies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Holy allergy season Batman! I've really been struggling this year so far. Between the pine pollen, and the dandelion fluff and now the poplar stuff, I'm a mess! Fortunately for me its not a breathing issue (that happens later in forest fire season) but rather just a sniffly, itchy eye thing.

Caffeine helps. This of course plays right into my coffee/tea addiction. I don't want to resort to Benadryl or Claritin if I can help it, so I'm looking for other tips. Anyone have some good tips on dealing with seasonal allergies?

I get the clogged nose scratchy throat thing with mine and have to use a steroid nasal spray. My son uses Zyrtec with good results. Most of the time, the home remedies are to keep your windows closed, ac on, vacuum frequently, saline nose/eye drops and keep your hands out of your eyes. I don't know of things to use that aren't medical since that seems to be the stuff that works for my family. The good thing is that we're not ever on them long term. Maybe a few weeks and then we can stop.

Well, with a dog and two cats in the house, I vacuum a LOT. We don't have AC so that's out. Phooey. Thanks for the nasal spray thing though. Is it just saline?

Back when I was in my 20s/30s, I went through scratch testing and 6-7 years of allergy shots for pollen related issues. They seem to be working pretty well.

I also have an allergy to clams but that's another story.

I don't think they give you shots for clam allergy do they? Would it be worth it?

At that time years ago, the allergist told me it wasn't worth it. That if I made my living in the clam industry they could help me but otherwise to suck it up and move on. I have done both.

My nose runs constantly. We own stock in Puffs Plus. I've tried all the OTC and scrip allergy stuff, none works for me.

My SIL swears by the Neti Pot. I need to break out the saline solution and try it again.

I can't get past the ick factor with the neti pot. And I'm more troubled by my eyes than my nose. It runs, but I just keep a stash of tissue in my pocket and I'm usually covered.

DH uses Zyrtec as well - it works for him. I've heard that taking a teaspoon of local honey a day can help "inoculate" you against local allergens. I tried to get DH to try this during the spring (April and May for us), but he didn't, so I have no direct experience with that.

They sell a squirt bottle that even Neti says is better than the nasal tea pot. Not good for eyes though...

See if you can find any local raw honey, it's supposed to help boost your immune system and help fight against allergy symptoms. Try to increase your intake of Omega-3s as well.

<3
Z

Thanks Zereh and GotGarlic. I have done the honey thing. I read about that a while ago. I often take honey and garlic when I'm feeling sick. I figure natural antibiotic and antiseptics are a good call when you're getting a cold. I haven't tried the honey for allergies though. There are lots of good local honey businesses. Apparently Alberta produces a LOT of honey.

I read somewhere that local raw honey added to your neti pot saline is supposed to be a huge help with sinus infections etc. Again, simply can't get past the ick factor. Maybe if I get more desperate...

Back
Top Bottom