"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Am I too old to go back to school...

Besides language, cooking has always been one of my favorite things to do. I am 53. The market for editors has not been great--everyone can write/edit (ha!). So, I've been looking at other things I can do, and of course, I want to do something I enjoy--if I can't play with words, I'd like to play with food. I can get into a culinary class starting January 2013. What would I do afterwards--probably work as a personal chef/caterer. Am I too old to embark on this path?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Besides language, cooking has always been one of my favorite things to do. I am 53. The market for editors has not been great--everyone can write/edit (ha!). So, I've been looking at other things I can do, and of course, I want to do something I enjoy--if I can't play with words, I'd like to play with food. I can get into a culinary class starting January 2013. What would I do afterwards--probably work as a personal chef/caterer. Am I too old to embark on this path?
No you are never to old, go for it and be proud. You can do this...
kades

Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Not a question we can answer.

If you really want to do it, you will succeed.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking it would give me the credibility to edit food magazines/cookbooks...I already have an M.A. in linguistics and experience as an editor and writer...and, I'd get to perfect my knife skills!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Sous Chef

My aunt is 60, just got her doctorate and completely changed careers. Never too late :)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It's never too late to return to school.
I lost my job of 25 years in May of 2010, when the paper company I worked for decided to close the doors on the Franklin VA mill.
I decided to return to school and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have one more semester or so and I hope to graduate with an associates degree in computer information technology. I wish I had been this enthusiastic about school way back in the 70's.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
It's never too late to return to school.
I lost my job of 25 years in May of 2010, when the paper company I worked for decided to close the doors on the Franklin VA mill.
I decided to return to school and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have one more semester or so and I hope to graduate with an associates degree in computer information technology. I wish I had been this enthusiastic about school way back in the 70's.
This forum needs a "like" button lol
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm only 26 and the thought of going back to school (which I'd like to do next fall) makes me groan, but I think you should always be trying to improve yourself, and I think it's great when people aren't afraid to take risks, regardless of age.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

CWS, I can't speak for you, but I can tell you my story.

At 45 years old we sold our internet business and my dear husband said that if I wanted to follow my dream to go to culinary school I could use the proceeds to do this. It was the hardest thing I ever did in my life - I was almost 30 years older than the youngest in the class, I had FM, arthritis, back fracture, struggled with depression and many other health issues. I barely squeaked by but I did it and will never regret it. I had a short but wonderful career in catering and still do some consulting in that area. I have my cakes to keep me going financially and make me feel like I am still able to do something!

You have to make the decision yourself and I am not going to sugar coat and say it is easy, but if it is something you really have a passion for and you go in knowing the obstacles, you will have the time of your life!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Another vote in the "Go for it" column from me. I am 54 and just finished my first year as a sign language interpreter. After a long successful career in nursing, I needed a change and went back to school. I was the oldest in my classes. Most of the students were my kids ages! But I loved the subject and enjoyed learning new things. I had a wonderful time this school year working with a high school student. It's never too late to do something you want to do!