"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Strictly as a personal decision (not health related), I stopped salting my food (most of it anyway) years ago. After two weeks of everything tasting bland, I started noticing the salt already in foods. Since moving to South Carolina I have developed high blood pressure, kidney stones, and diabetes. Once in awhile I get a craving for something salty, like potato chips. I don't know if it affects my blood pressure (I don't have a home monitor), but I do know that my ankles swell up a lot. I have done a lot of reading on the subject, and I think it is an individualized thing. I think salt affects some people and not others. Either way, I think some foods have way too much salt. You have to pay attention to the labels too. A few weeks ago my husband and I wanted some chips. Ruffles had a new lower fat chip, so I thought we'd try it. Then I compared the label to the regular Ruffles. The difference in fat wasn't that much, but the lower fat ones had way more salt. If I want to eat something, I'll eat it, but if I can get it with less salt, I figure I might as well.

Barbara

Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

If you want a lower sodium chip try the Lays Lower sodium chip.

Or you can try out some of thr Cape Cod potato chips. Some have only 110MG of sodium per serving which is low imo.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I asked my the nurse at my doctor's office if salt is bad for a person who's blood pressure is not affected by salt, and they told me that it could have an effect on the artery walls, but there was nothing concrete on that. She just said that a person who doesn't need to watch salt intake for BP reasons should balance out that salt intake by drinking extra water to flush it from their system.

BC