"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I guess what I was trying to say is that, the size of the book doesn't matter, it's the story that catches me. I've read some that I wish the author had just told the story, not all the embellishment to up the page numbers and word count.

Series, i love series!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Series, i love series!
Even better than a big thick book is a series of big thick books!

I've never cared for short stories as there just isn't enough character and plot development. I always come away feeling cheated somehow. A whole book of them - UGH.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I've never cared for short stories as there just isn't enough character and plot development. I always come away feeling cheated somehow. A whole book of them - UGH.
A short story is to a novel what a one-liner is to a joke.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Do you like fantasy? Then I recommend the Thieves' World series. It's all short stories, but by separate authors and in chronological order, so you get the character and plot development. There are 12 books in the series, plus some novels. The series is edited by Robert Lynn Aspirin and some also by Lynn Abbey. Thieves' World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm pretty much limited to WalMart for books, but they've had some good ones. It adds up, though.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get a Kindle or some such. Once you've invested in the reader, are the books expensive?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i do better price wise on amazon or barnes and noble on line. can't remember the last time i bought one in a store.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm pretty much limited to WalMart for books, but they've had some good ones. It adds up, though.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get a Kindle or some such. Once you've invested in the reader, are the books expensive?
Project Gutenberg has lots of free, public domain books - lots of classics. You can read them on your computer screen or on an e-reader.

Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader
Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Project Gutenberg has lots of free, public domain books - lots of classics. You can read them on your computer screen or on an e-reader.

Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader
Thanks, TaxLady.

Unfortunately, I've about used up all the Project Gutenberg library. I lived for two years surrounded by people who didn't read, and nowhere near a library so I read books online constantly.

Also Baen Free Library, Free Online Novels, and the Online Books Page.

I still occasionally find myself bookless and check out these sites again, but rarely find anything new that's interesting.

I'm paying around $7.44 for most books, plus LA sales tax which is almost 10%. I can't tell exactly about the tax, as everything, including food, is taxed, but at different rates.

I'd invest in a Kindle, if I could get current bestsellers for less than I'm paying for paperbacks.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
Master Chef

I do both. Long and short. I'm a huge user of the public library because I am a voracious reader. Right now I'm looking at an Umberto Eco book and wondering if I have it in me this time of year ... especially since I just finished a book translated from Icelandic (is that what that language is called? I should know...). Translated books usually take a little more time and thought. But I love short novels that I consider relaxing to read. Goofy murder mysteries are my favorite brain candy. Long books that I have to put some thought into I often break up with short books. That is to say, a seriously long book I want to read, I'll read it for a few days, then spend a day or two on frivolous stuff, and pick it up later.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

... especially since I just finished a book translated from Icelandic (is that what that language is called? I should know...). Translated books usually take a little more time and thought.

That is what it's called in English, if you are talking about the language they speak in Iceland I got curious. According to Google translate it's "Íslenska" in Icelandic.

What kind of a book was it? Do you have a particular interest in Iceland?