"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Anybody else cook with a pet under foot?

I recently got a cat, a maine coon, who just loves to come in the kitchen when I cook and meow until I drop a scrap for her to taste test. Anybody else go through this? I am refering to cats more so than dogs, cause dogs are bigger and you can see them to avoid stepping on them more so than a cat.

As an aside, which is really off topic, anybody else have a cat that likes to sleep on there back with their legs akimbo? Mine is snoring beside me now with her front pawas sorta tucked on her chest and her hind legs gapped open.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Head Chef

Your Maine Coon sounds like the majority of my cats!! My dogs know to stay out of the kitchen (for the most part) when I am cooking but as you said, cats are different. I can't count how many times I turn to take a step and darn near kill myself trying not to step on the cat that all of a sudden appeared in my path!! They also think that the back of my legs need a fur-massage when I am doing dishes. One thing that I absolutely will not tolerate is any of them on the counters and they know it.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hi vilasman. Your Maine Coon sounds cute. I have two Siamese girls. One is a bit of a pest. She sits on my left shoulder while I am cleaning and cooking and as the idea of serving food with cat hair is to much for me we have now compromised and she sits on the cooker hood while I cook instead. Other wise I have a strict not on the worksurface rule. A friend of mine also has a Siamese for whoim she bought a papoose (sp?) because the shoulder riding got too awkward. I might try that. My other cat does get underfot though.

I never give them tasters while I cook.....it would only encourage them, but they are allowed any approprite scraps after we have eaten -on their own plates. my girls also sleep on their backs sometimes, when their pig-lamp is on and they are warming their bellies under it - not habitually like your cutie!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have 2 chis and they both linger close by and hope for scraps. All I have to do is start chopping stuff and they come a runnin!!! Binks sits right up under me when I am at the stove, Boots keeps a bit of distance... guess he has been stepped on a few times. They happily accept anything that I lose or purposely toss at them.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Cook

Yes, my cat loves to be in the kitchen, and we've had several near misses over the years. She can smell prawns from several hundred yards away.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Head Chef

No pets, but my son loves to be underfoot in the kitchen! :D
Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
Head Chef

What are "chis" Sattie?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Head Chef

Dogs are usually in the kitchen when I am cooking, but under the table, not underfoot.

When they are in my way, I (gently, but firmly) step on whichever piece of them is handy. They learned quickly to remove themselves from danger.

And it is dangerous to have critters (or children) underfoot while you are juggling sharp knives and hot pots.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Head Chef

I have 2 cats and 1 small dog in the house and 1 large dog outside. The ones in the house know to stay out of my way now in the kitchen. All I have to do is say everyone out in a loud voice and that takes care of it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Sous Chef

im constantly tripping over and stepping over a 4 year old yellow lab and a 9 month old kitten...the love to curl up together right ontop of my feet when im cooking...just waiting for that accidental drop!