"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
DC Grandma

In our case it was the Military that canceled ours twice. The first time they sent Paul to fight in Korea..Then after he came back we said we would wait until I was out of school. Then they sent him to Japan ..he had a 10 day notice. Third time charm..I met him in Sacramento ( his Troop ship docked in San Francisco so his sis picked him up and brought him to Sacramento. this was on a Friday morning..I rode the Greyhound Bus all night and arrived at 6 AM Saturday morning (his 24th birthday) and we were married on the next Tuesday. He was sure glad because as he put it " I sure hated sleeping with my bony kneed brother- in-law. ( it took us 6 years to get to this point)
Then 52 years later I lost him..
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Dove, I'm so glad you had the 52 wonderful years.

The father of a friend told her as she was walking down the aisle "it isn't too late to back out". She has been married to the same man for almost 50 years, but she appreciated her dad thinking of herself first, rather than the funds already put out for the wedding.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Jan I don't have any experience with cancelling a wedding but I have a friend who started walking down the aisle and then decided to turn around - take off her wedding dress and get into her car and drive away.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
Master Chef

My oldest son called off his wedding. He disappeared for a few days. He said that he wanted some time to think things over. When he came back he went to the girls house and told her in front of her mother that he could not go through with the wedding. The mother said "oh yes you are. If you want a divorce afterwards, fine". My son said, "no way". Oh, it was terrible. I felt so bad for the girl and her family but it turned out to be the right thing to do.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Oh Joanne, what a mess!

My parents were just embarrassed for a nano-second but were very glad that I didn't go through with the first one. They loved the one I actually walked down the aisle with. (how do you say that without using a preposition at the end?)

Marge, you had a wonderful 52 years and not many people can say that!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I was really concerned about my son's choice but everyone seems to be very happy so I'm glad I was wrong.

I would have stopped it if I could.
Sounds like you were not wrong. I havent stopped a marriage, but I wish my parents stopped my first one because he was wrong for me. PARENTS, stop it if it's not right when they say " who here objects"
Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree with you, ambuh, if the betrothed are young. but after the age of 23 or 24 (even that's too young to get married, imo), ya gotta let them make their own mistakes.
with the exception of actual abuse, of course.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i agree with you, ambuh, if the betrothed are young. but after the age of 23 or 24 (even that's too young to get married, imo), ya gotta let them make their own mistakes.
with the exception of actual abuse, of course.
Yes, if they are young, as I assumed they were in the situation with half baked. Your right though, even early twenties is too young to marry but we have to let them make their decisions.