Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
If so, what have you done to prepare for any type of disaster?

I'm not a heavy survivalist or anything, but I do take some precautions and try and plan ahead for situations where we may lose power for several days or our water supply would somehow become contaminated, etc.

I keep a couple sheets of bottled water in my store room, just in case. And I've ordered 72-hour and 1-week food supply kits from a couple of the survivalist/prepper websites selling food kits that have the 25-year shelf life. Plus I've been meaning to stock up on more canned foods as well.

I also have a folding stove that uses camp heat so we can cook in the event of a power outage. I figure it doesn't hurt to be prepared. The next thing I'd like to invest in is a generator.

What about you? Are you prepared for a disaster? I mean, hey, a zombie apocalypse can happen any day now.

Although I personally believe it's already happened :LOL:

I wouldn't consider myself a survivalist but I do have a bunch of stuff that are considered survival gear since I backpack and camp alot. I would say I'm semi-prepared in the event of a disaster.

We are semi prepared too. We would count on our gas grill with two bottles of propane for cooking. We have a large outdoor panty in the garage and several gallons of bottled water, along with the ever important can opener I just added. Duh.

If I lived in cold country where loosing power is common, I would certainly invest in a generator. Souschef's sister has lived in the north east for a lifetime and she still doesn't own a generator but her neighbor lets her hook up to theirs. So much for one sided good neighbors, I would most definitely own my own.

I have a case of Twinkies. That's good for a thousand calories a day, and they will never go bad.

KL, my dad lives in Hurricane country, so he has a generator. They are nice to have, but you have to run them on a regular basis, and maintain them. Lots of people buy them, stuff them in the garage for five years, and wonder why they don't work when they need them. :rolleyes:

CD

We're in good shape if we lose power for a period of time. We get thunderstorms and nor'easters and are vulnerable to hurricanes, although we have never been hit by one since we moved here in 1985. We did lose power for about a week in 2003 after a tropical storm went through. After that, we bought a generator, which was a tax deduction because some of my medication has to be refrigerated. DH checks the generator regularly.

We prepare for hurricane season every year by updating our supplies of canned goods and bottled water. We also make sure we have propane for the grill and we have gas heat (radiators), hot water and stove, so we're set there. I also fill the bathtub with water when a big storm is coming - in 2003, we also lost water for about a week and we used the water in the tub to flush the toilet. The water wasn't contaminated - it comes from a lake west of here and the pump house flooded so they had to turn it off.

Last edited:
I only have a large cache of gold coins for any potential disaster..

I like cd's idea of Twinkies tho.. Think I'll trade some of the coins for a case..

Ross

I laughed at the case of Twinkies comment :LOL:

Great comments from everyone, thanks for posting. And Kay, yes, the manual can opener, as much as I hate those things, is definitely a must-have. I don't think my electric one would be of much use during a power outage :glare:

And GG, what a great idea of filling the bathtub with water for toilet flushing. I never thought of that!

Also, in case we can't get to the bank for whatever reason or if the banks should go by the wayside and shut down for a few days (hopefully that never happens, but you never know) my son and I have $400 emergency money stashed away. I did that when the stories of a possible EMP threat were going around. It would basically render credit card machines useless. Of course, though, if I knew something like that was coming, I'd probably go get ALL of my money out of the bank.

Attachments

• GOLD_.png
    GOLD_.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Linda, I sure agree about having cash on hand, but not large bills. If you need to buy stuff without a card, you sure aren't going to get change back from anybody. I also never let my car gas tank get lower than half full.

Last edited:
I only have a large cache of gold coins for any potential disaster..

I like cd's idea of Twinkies tho.. Think I'll trade some of the coins for a case..

Ross

Call me... I'll hook you up with some Twinkies for some of that gold. Hey, what are friends for, right? :cool:

CD

I laughed at the case of Twinkies comment :LOL:

Great comments from everyone, thanks for posting. And Kay, yes, the manual can opener, as much as I hate those things, is definitely a must-have. I don't think my electric one would be of much use during a power outage :glare:

And GG, what a great idea of filling the bathtub with water for toilet flushing. I never thought of that!

Also, in case we can't get to the bank for whatever reason or if the banks should go by the wayside and shut down for a few days (hopefully that never happens, but you never know) my son and I have $400 emergency money stashed away. I did that when the stories of a possible EMP threat were going around. It would basically render credit card machines useless. Of course, though, if I knew something like that was coming, I'd probably go get ALL of my money out of the bank.

Linda, if you are hungry, and have a can of food, a sharp rock will do the job.

Also, now everyone knows you have 400 dollars in cash stashed away. You should probably not post that on the internet. :ohmy: ;)

CD

A good place to keep cash is in the freezer in a container labeled liver. Nobody would steal liver, and if the house burned down it wouldn't burn.

After reading Casey's post..forget my idea linda. lol

Last edited:
But like in the movies, if a zombie apocalypse were to happen you need to be well armed as well...

I have that very well covered... even though zombies are pure fiction. It seemed like a good idea a the time. :ermm:

CD

Linda, I sure agree about having cash on hand, but not large bills. If you need to buy stuff without a card, you sure aren't going to get change back from anybody. I also never let my car gas tank get lower than half full.

Good point. Maybe I should get them changed out for $20's. I never thought of that.

But like in the movies, if a zombie apocalypse were to happen you need to be well armed as well...

Don't you worry about that. I'm a gun enthusiast ;)

Linda, if you are hungry, and have a can of food, a sharp rock will do the job.

Also, now everyone knows you have 400 dollars in cash stashed away. You should probably not post that on the internet. :ohmy: ;)

CD

:LOL:

Wups :rolleyes:

A good place to keep cash is in the freezer in a container labeled liver. Nobody would steal liver, and if the house burned down it wouldn't burn.

Note to self... when the end times come, KL has cash in her freezer, look for liver.

CD :)

I have that very well covered... even though zombies are pure fiction. It seemed like a good idea a the time. :ermm:

CD

Zombies aren't fiction. We live amongst them every day. They look like real humans, but they walk and even drive with their faces stuck in electronic devices. In fact, I almost hit a couple of people with my car that walked out in front of me whilst texting.

Around here we call them The Digital Deadwalkers.

That's about as close to a zombie as you can get :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom