"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Oooooh I love Corgis one of my favourite dogs... however the one I knew personally was a bit aloof and didn't have much tolerance with small children... but then again it could depend on individuals...

Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #22
Head Chef

I would say any lab is the best, we took in a lab/germen sheperd cross and he loves kids and so very friendly.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Labs and Boxers. Hands down
Old 03-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
Head Chef

Raise a Corgi with kids and they'll love kids.

I must stress, though, that Pembrokes are great kid dogs. Cardigans are more aloof and are not people dogs.

We called Wickett, the dog above and below, the People Puppy. She loved everyone, even those that came to our bookstore for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wickett1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1223   Click image for larger version

Name:	blair dog.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1224  

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:37 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Ah, that explains, Phinz... Casey, my ex neighbour's Corgi was Cardigan, not Pembroke! Wickett is a beauty!!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #26
Head Chef

Labs are truly wonderful. We have a lab mix (not sure what the other half is)...but if you want a smaller dog, I'd say a cocker spaniel. One of the sweetest dogs I ever had was a pure bred cocker spaniel. I don't ever remember her growling...she never knew how to bite...she was so smart, loving, obedient. Presently, in addition to our lab mix, we have a blue heeler/cocker spaniel mix. She's very sweet, too.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Ah, that explains, Phinz... Casey, my ex neighbour's Corgi was Cardigan, not Pembroke! Wickett is a beauty!!
She was one of the two greatest dogs I have ever had the pleasure of being the guardian for. We lost her and Shelby, the two greatest dogs I've ever had as companions, within a year of each other. Both to Lymphosarcoma. I lost two of my best friends that year.

I want another Corgi, but right now I have Dumb and Dumber (Sparky and Dixie) and really can't have another little dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparky1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1225   Click image for larger version

Name:	dix.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1227  

Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Phinz!! I hope Sparky and Dixie will never overhear what you are saying about them!! Oh come on, you really don't mean that do you, they are also adorable!! Every dog is special in their own way...

Sorry to hear about Wickett and Shelby... that is one drawback of having a pet... they must have been wonderful companions, but you also gave them a full happy life... they will always stay with you in a special place in your heart..
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

My daughter's Crogi is the most hyper dog I have ever known. He's friendly and gentle but cannot sit still or shut up. I'm assuming this is an individual personality rather than an indication of the entire breed.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #30
Head Chef

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade Sparky and Dixie for anything. They're both wonderful dogs, but we call them our special children. Dixie really is mentally not all there. She wasn't breathing when born and had to be given mouth-to-mouth, so we're sure there's a little brain damage there. Sparky has the stupidest aggression issues when it comes to Dixie. It's like this:

"I just got stepped on by momma and yelped. I think I'll bite Dixie," and then 10 minutes later it's "Dixie just got stepped on by momma and yelped. I think I'll bite Dixie." It's asinine sometimes. Dixie can't play and bark or Sparky will bite her or horn in on the playing. We literally have to make Sparky stay on the porch if we want to play with Dixie. If somebody comes to the door and Sparky barks, Dixie will bark too. Sparky in turn will start barking at and biting at Dixie. This makes Dixie get mad and they get into a fight. It's because of Sparky's issues that we can't have another small dog. She'd ruin it. Dixie's grown up with it and just fights back when she gets irritated with it.

The truly silly part about it? Dixie is the dominant dog. It's almost comical. Most of the time they hang out together like two velcro doggies, and Sparky always wants to know where Dixie is.

And Corgis are very sensitive to environment, Andy. They can be like that because of the environment. While Wickett was alive I never met a child that didn't *adore* her, though. My nieces used to say "I want the orange dog to sleep with us" and Wickett ate it up.