"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

meshoo, the best fundraising event that i was ever involved in was selling fresh citrus fruit from florida.

Oranges Fundraising - Citrus Fund Raising - Fruit Sale For School Fundraisers - Florida Indian River Groves

if you have enough people selling, you can make a few grand on one sale. enough to make a dent in summer camp costs. it won't be a lot of work just to make a few bucks and the dads aggravated.

plus if you order enough for a full truck, the boys get to work together to help offload then deliver it.

a bunch of 10 lb. boxes of fresh fruit ain't for girly scouts.

since it's harvested and shipped directly from the grower when you order it, the fruit is amazingly fresh. i remember eating oranges and grapefruits until my stomach hurt every year.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Down here alot of communities have a no-soliciting policy - so door to door is out of the question.
But alot of the "Big Box" stores and supermarkets do donate, or allow non-profits outside their stores.

So, what I'm thinking is: what about hooking up with the local V.A. or American Legion, getting donations of money or flags from the "Big Boxes" and selling them. And collecting old flags for proper disposal. When our local group do the disposal the local newspaper covers the story. With both groups involved, it would be news worthy and may get them more donations.
It's so close to Memorial Day and The 4th, they may go over good. School is almost out and I doubt the troop will meet in the summer, so time is of the essence.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Boy Scouts here sell bags of mulch in the spring. They take orders and deliver it a couple of weeks later. It's great for those of us that have small vehicles, limited trunk space and don't want to lug the bags home from the nursery. They sell those 39 gallon lawn and leaf bags at the same time.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Master Chef

We did pancake breakfasts, car washes, BBQ's, and selling candy bars. We also had a sponsor that let us use a space for meetings, and others that helped fund us I think twenty in all. All local business' that liked the right off, and all did it by taking up collections in their stores for us as well as from their employees and owners. Our biggest funder though was the American Legion, followed by the Masons, the BBB, the Rotary Club. IE civic organizations seemed to support us more than business'.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Down here alot of communities have a no-soliciting policy - so door to door is out of the question.
But alot of the "Big Box" stores and supermarkets do donate, or allow non-profits outside their stores.

So, what I'm thinking is: what about hooking up with the local V.A. or American Legion, getting donations of money or flags from the "Big Boxes" and selling them. And collecting old flags for proper disposal. When our local group do the disposal the local newspaper covers the story. With both groups involved, it would be news worthy and may get them more donations.
It's so close to Memorial Day and The 4th, they may go over good. School is almost out and I doubt the troop will meet in the summer, so time is of the essence.
The VA, VFW, and American Legion seem to be big sponsors of the Boy Scouts, course out here the Mormons are as well.
I don't know about others, but we met year round as well as took at least two camping trips each year. Add onto that a week long trip to Thomas Ashford scout camp for badges! And the Jamboree, and a canoe trip.
We had a lot of fun, LOL.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

One good fundraiser we did was the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and calendars. Sold them for people to give for Christmas gifts.
One thing with Boy Scouts, is the fund raiser has to be aproved by the Boy Scout Council before they can do it. So make sure they get approval first.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Maverick, what is "the BBB"? Never heard of that org.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Master Chef

Better Business Bureau.

Many of our sponsors would actually run the fundraisers for us and we would just supply help, this way we got around waiting on the counsel to approve something. Helped us out a lot, and we never had any problems with the counsel.
At the same time, the Boy Scouts have been around for so long, lord knows just how many different ways have been approved to raise funds. You might just check with them and see if they have a list they can send you... might hurry things along and provide you some more ideas.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #19
Cook

What about organising a bush dance? have a band to play, and sell refreshments on the night. Often bush dance bands know the usual people who go to these and can get word out to the 'usuals' and you go from there. Hold a raffle or two on the night and maybe an auction along with refreshments you can make a profit.

Well it works here anyway, not sure about the US
Old 05-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
The VA, VFW, and American Legion seem to be big sponsors of the Boy Scouts, course out here the Mormons are as well.
I don't know about others, but we met year round as well as took at least two camping trips each year. Add onto that a week long trip to Thomas Ashford scout camp for badges! And the Jamboree, and a canoe trip.
We had a lot of fun, LOL.
we are going white water rafting in a few weeks, then there's the 2010 jamboree marking the 100th anniversary of the BSA and next year the boys want to do a high adventure trip on top of taking at least 1 trip per month over the next year