"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I took my boys for this yesterday and we all enjoyed the movie. I have not read the book by Katherine Paterson so I did not know that the story was changed.

The story wasn't changed. I went with my 6 year old DGS without knowledge of the book and only previews of the movie which seemed to be quite different from the movie.
That said, it is an absolutely beautiful movie--for older children. It is very sad from many points of view. It is a movie with MANY messages. My DGS and his friend were fine--they liked the movie, but I think it is for older children.
The movie was written and produced by the son of the author. The book was originally written NOT about the son, but about something that did happen when he was 8--he had a very good friend who died in an accident. They, the mother and son, have kept the film rights for all these years. As they said, many who wanted the rights also wanted to "fix" it--as in not have Leslie die. The interview with these two was on NPR and was a wonderful treatise on death and coming to terms with it.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I heard Michael Medved on the radio warning parents not to take the young ones - he thought the movie was being marketed to young people and it should not be. This must be what he was referring to.

did any of you see Pan's Labyrinth? I saw it yesterday and am still tense. Must say, it was well done.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Candocook, thanks for your insight. It indeed is a beautiful story and movie with many messages as you correctly stated. My boys are 9 and 6 and perhaps are not too young to be traumatized by the concept of death.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

I was first introduced to this story when I was about 10 or 11 at summer camp. The story was always with me as I grew up. So I guess it did affect me. But I don't think it was do to "Trauma" but do to the way the sadness was handled with expert writing and how enjoyable the rest of the story was. I read it again when I was about 25 and was struck with how I still really enjoyed it. I actually read the story again when I was 35. Still think it is one of the best books out on the market for both adults and children. I think it provides a way to discuss death with your kids without it being when someone they love has passed.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Right on!! That is exactly what the author said in the interview also. I agree, it was a surprise, but the movie is excellent and beautiful.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Head Chef

I can not wait to see the movie. I hope my imagination wasn't better than film.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #17
Executive Chef

How is this different than when Bambi's mother is shot in a film?I never watched because I can not take it,Then there is Old Yeller and numerous other films like Below 8 Degrees or something like that,The Yearling ,heck I cried at the 101 Dalmations movie with Glenn Close
I guess it is a way to get kids used to the concept of loss and death but it sucks non the less.Still great stories cause life is not perfect.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Everymom

Sounds like you and I would need SEVERAL boxes of kleenex at the movies if we went together! We own Air Bud and I STILL cry when Josh has to send Buddy away.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Okay, don't blame me for the tardiness, the film wasn't released here in Italy until last week...
On the whole it was really lovely, kids were great especially Lesley and the little sis of Jesse. I never had the opportunity to read the book (now I would love to...), but I just KNEW that Lesley would die or at least Jesse would never see her again during the scene of their last parting. The camera work was pretty much tell tale. But now it makes sense that she wasn't really supposed to die. I was wondering why she had to, now I wonder even more why this decision by the film makers.