"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Burger King debuts thicker fries amid competition

Burger King debuts thicker fries amid competition - Yahoo! News

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Like my fries to be 1/4" X 1/2" X 2 to 3 1/2", golden brown on outside, tender, moist and steaming on the inside.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I'm not sure how thicker fries is a revelation. Maybe I don't get out enough.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You must have missed the memo.

Thicker fries won't fit onto those little paper holders as well so you'll probably get fewer fries for your dollar.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I tried the BK larger fries last night. I don't like them as well as skinnier fries. They are crisper than most fries, but they also have a lot of the soft interior. Too much! Personally, I eat fries for the crunchy outside.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

The best fries I've ever eaten in my life were made at a stall in Ocean City, Maryland on the boardwalk near the old fairgrounds. They had these cool Tater cutters that were like a can smasher but with square holes in the lower part. The employee put a freshly scrubbed Tater into the gadget, standing upright, and then just pulled the handle down, which cut the entire potato into fries and dropped it directly into the hot oil beneath the cutter.

They then put sea salt on them and served them piping hot. Man, they were Soooooo good! Make me want some right now!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought BK's fries had finally gotten good (for them). There was all that ruckus several years ago about how they were trying to make them more like the golden arch's fries. And Wendy's went skinnier, also, but those fries were always greasy, soft things. So now BK is going thicker? Interesting. How much does the exec get paid to make these decisions every few years? I want his job.

And in unrelated news. A month ago I tried Wendy's thicker hamburger. It was good. It was also a lot harder to eat while driving, at least the double was. These fast food joints should leave their product alone. I'm not expecting their burgers or their fries to resemble... Denny's (for instance, lol) food. I want it fast and I want to know what I'm getting each time I pull into their drive through. I might as well have been eating tacos trying to eat that thick burger while navigating all the people pulling into Walmart... which I did just that a week ago
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I thought BK's fries had finally gotten good (for them). There was all that ruckus several years ago about how they were trying to make them more like the golden arch's fries. And Wendy's went skinnier, also, but those fries were always greasy, soft things. So now BK is going thicker? Interesting. How much does the exec get paid to make these decisions every few years? I want his job.

And in unrelated news. A month ago I tried Wendy's thicker hamburger. It was good. It was also a lot harder to eat while driving, at least the double was. These fast food joints should leave their product alone. I'm not expecting their burgers or their fries to resemble... Denny's (for instance, lol) food. I want it fast and I want to know what I'm getting each time I pull into their drive through. I might as well have been eating tacos trying to eat that thick burger while navigating all the people pulling into Walmart... which I did just that a week ago
I'll have to try one of the new Wendy's burgers. I had a burgerking double about a week ago and was thinking about how very thin the burgers were. They had to be about a quarter inch thick. Both together were thinner than I make one at home.

I love Denny's burgers, the one here makes the burgers by hand before cooking them. Quite a difference from the machine formed, paper thin burgers at the other places.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Truth be told, it's probably been at least 6 years since I last set foot in a McD's, BK, or Wendy's. I just flat out don't care for the food. Never have. There's something very artificial tasting about the flavorless, spongy, white buns and dried out, pre-fab meat patties.

I haven't tried Denny's, but I've been known to visit Smashburger and Five Guys on occasion. Both places have very tasty burgers and fries. However, I almost always end up regretting it later when the heartburn sets in.

Nothing beats burgers and fries made at home, as far as I'm concerned. Thick, juicy burgers (with a little pink in the middle) sitting on an artisan onion roll. Add some crispy oven roasted fries (yes, that's an oxymoron) and you've got a meal fit for a king.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll bet I haven't set foot in a fast food joint in 15 years.