"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
Master Chef

Ah, those are good old days music. Not some garbage we have today.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, April Wine, Deep Purple. Jimi, Janis, Jim. Too many good ones to remember. And I agree with your selections as well, Chief.

Many good times were had at the Winnipeg Folk Festival too. Taj Mahal, Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird, so many others. Oh, the memories!
Let's not forget some of the seminal bands that paved the way for the metal bands, such as Uriah Heep, Blood Rock, and others. Who can leave jethro Tull out of this mix, not me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I love music of all kinds. I was raised on Beatles and Stones and am primarily a rocker, but I also love Waylon and Willy and other country, along with anything from any musical. I can sing all the songs. Hallaluja brings me to tears, love gospel, hymns, along with blues, Elvis, you name it. I can handle hiphop too, along with didgereedoo and bagpipes. It's all good!
When my daughter took me to see "In The Mood last week, I was quietly singing very softly all the words to all the songs that had words. And I would tell my daughter what band made the recording and who the singer(s) were. She was absolutely surprised that I knew so much about the Big Band era.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my daughter took me to see "In The Mood last week, I was quietly singing very softly all the words to all the songs that had words. And I would tell my daughter what band made the recording and who the singer(s) were. She was absolutely surprised that I knew so much about the Big Band era.
I enjoy Benny Goodman, and had a grandfather, who was full blooded Doiche who played clarinet in a Big Band, though I don't know which one it was. It was a wlll known band in its day though. I don know that. I also like Deano, and Gene Kelley, and In my mind, the greatest crooner of them all, Bing Crosby. Didn't much care for Frank Sinatra though. He was too arrogant.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom, who grew up with Sinatra, hated his music. She was a huge Elvis fan though. She also loved all the Gilbert and Sullivan music.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My mom, who grew up with Sinatra, hated his music. She was a huge Elvis fan though. She also loved all the Gilbert and Sullivan music.
Gilbert and Sullivan works were always a favorite of mine. When I was in the ninth grade, I played the part of Rafe. The one who knew about the switching of the babies. I memorized the whole musical. And in the fourth grade I was Gretel in Humperdink's Hansel and Gretel. I memorized that whole play also. There was a part when Gretel was off stage. I had the dubious job of prompting. Then back on stage.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, what is the name of the G&S productions? They aren't called musicals, they're called something else, and the name escapes me.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aha! Operettas! That's it!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Today's kids are always surprised that our generation had music in our lives also. And we can recite who sang what and when it was popular. We know where we were the first time we heard the song.

Hey kids, guess what. We no longer have to use our drums for just sending messages. We were able to figure out how to take a hollow piece of wood and make music to go with the drums.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Aha! Operettas! That's it!
Having a senior moment were you? It happens to all of us. Unfortunately, I have more than my share. My excuse is one of my meds is responsible for it.