"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Call Centres

Recently we, and several other people we know have been 'plagued', and I use the word deliberately! by persons calling themselves "UK Finance" cold calling and trying to sell mortgages.
From their accents they are no more UK than the man in the moon. You can barely understand a word of their 'English' They keep on and on..if you let them so now the minute we hear "UK Fimance" we hang up staright away.
Some of the people we know who have been annoyed by this are elderly people living alone. One wonders where they get the phone numbers from. It's like being stalked

Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have Caller ID and when I see a number that I am not familiar with I just let the answering machine answer. There are dozens of companies out there that are trying to re-finance your home for you and do construction also at your home.

My favorite is when someone calls and ask for donations for the Police Fund and the Fireman's Fund.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I never answer my phone unless I know whos calling.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
I never answer my phone unless I know whos calling.

I never know who's calling unless I answer my phone!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I have Caller ID, too. If you do not have this, just let the call go to your message machine. Most of the time, they hang up if they do not get a "real" person and don't even leave a message. I have also put my name on the "Do Not Call List" that is available here. It is free and since I have registered, I receive very few calls (none during the last two months). I agree, the calls you are receiving are scams. The best thing to do is what you are doing -- hang up. After a while, they may get the message and take your name off their lists. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Let me give some advise from someone who has been on the other side of the fence.

I used to be one of those people calling you during dinner. That is right, I was a telemarketer. Please keep in mind that telemarketers are people too. They are someones mother or father, son or daughter, even grandparents do it. They are trying to earn an honest living. Please treat them with respect. Do on just hand up on them. Do not call them names. Do not blow whistles in their ears. They do ot deserve treatment like that. And before you tell me that they are annoying you and should not be calling, do not forget that there are plenty of other people who annoy you during the day, but you would never treat them the way most telemarketers get treated on a daily, wait let me change that to hourly basis.

While you may not want the products or services that are being offered, there are millions of people who do. If no one wanted these things then there would be no telemarketers.

My advise to people who are bothered by these calls is to treat the person on the other end of the phone with the respect you would want someone to show you. If you do ot want their product then tell them so, but do it politely. "Thank you for the offer, but I really do not want xyz. If you could take me off your list then that would be great. Thank you". Sure some of the callers will try a hard sell at that point, but if you start out polite then most callers will thank you for your time and take you off thier list.

When I was doing calls like this I had people tell me to die in a fire. Others told me they hoped my whole family was killed. Others said I weas worse then a pedophile. The funny thing is I was calling from their own bank with a way to (sometimes) save then tens of thousands of dollars and it would not cost them anything or require any effort on their part, but people here someone on the other end of the line giving them a "pitch" and all of a sudden that person is lower than the dirt on their shoes.

OK I am off my soapbox now. This topic just gets to me every time.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef

www.donotcall.gov I signed up here and it works.We still get a few calls fom local stuff but by law if you tell them to take you off their call list they must do so.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Sous Chef

GB sorry you were treated so rudely. We are not rude to the people. We tell them we cannot understand their English; that we are not interested in their product and then when they persist, we hang up.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

csalt that is a great way to handle it. By all means hang up if they do not take no for an answer. They are the ones being rude at that point, not you.

I hope my post did not imply that I think anyone here is one of those rude type of people. That certaily was not my intent as I have no way of knowing what anyone here does or does not do in situation like this. If I came across that way then I do apologize!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Sous Chef

If I don't want to talk to an unknown person who has presumed to intrude on my phone, I have NO trouble hanging up on them. AS apparently (pre-no call list days), they had no problem hanging up on ME when I asked them how they purported to know my husband--and lie to me.
The NO Call list is heaven on earth. NOw if they would just expand it to politicians and the ever present hired-help-charities.