Calling all Gardeners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have several pepper plants that were doing quite well indoors. They have provided me with good number fo fresh peppers over the course of the summer and I was quite pleased with their growth and the quolity of peppers produced. IN the last couple of weeks, these same pepper plants have begun to dy off with the leaves turning splotchy brown and wilting, even though the plants are watered and in a sunny area. I know that peppers can be wintered indoors succesfully and can be treated as a perenial, giving peppers throughout the winter season. I have done this in the past. I figure these peppers must have picked up some disease.

In addition, the problem seems to be spreading to new pepper plants which are just beginning to bear beautiful cherry peppers. The first plants were anaheim and jalepino plants. I have moved the young cherry peppers to another room and washed them with a solution of Dawn dish soap and water. I don't know the correct treatment or if the plants can be saved at all. The dying jalepino and anehiem plants are going to be removed and the dirt thrown away as soon as the last batch of peppers grow to usable size and can be picked. I will also completely wash the containers, then start with new potting soil.

Any advise for cotrolling the pepper blight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Goodweed of the North

You may want to add about a tablespoon of bleach to each gallon of water. I've been successful with that sometimes - and sometimes not. I just lost an ornamental plant that started downhill the day after I got it. I think it already had something when I bought it. My sister buys most of her plants at Home Depot because of their guarantee. I don't know if it covers edibles.

Now I have a request. I know hibiscus plants are like the EASY button to plant but I've planted some in my pots and the buttons have turned yellow and drying out. Should I add more water or they just adjusting to the move?

Goodweed I agree with Dina - I use Plant' It Earth for safer garden fungicide. It is really a good product.

Have a very happy Saturday.

Jill and Jolie

Dina said:
but I've planted some in my pots and the buttons have turned yellow and drying out. Should I add more water or they just adjusting to the move?

Do you mean that the LEAVES have turned yellow, Dina? If so, yes, the plants are most likely adjusting.

My hibiscus plants hate coming in every fall and look awful for a couple of months before they resign themselves to the fact that they have to stay in. During the winter, I water them twice a week.

One of my favorite flowers. Remind me of my beloved tropical islands.

Lee

Oh QSis, these hibiscus are gorgeous. The flower is a yellow trim with fusia in the middle-so tropical and beautiful. The dark, green leaves have a pretty shine to them. And yes. Some leaves have turned yellow and the buds that were going to bloom have turned yellow and dried out. Argh! I was hoping to see them bloom so they could adorn my front entrance. Eventually, they'll get adjusted to the move.

Back
Top Bottom