"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My old phones and chargers must just be that. Old.
Not one cord fits any other phone, but the one that came with it.

I have the IPhone now and its proprietary for sure. Nothing but Apple.

My point I guess was the USB cable is not always universal.
For example. My camera. Its a micro USB, but does not fit any other jack on any other device I own.
Am I missing something as far a compatibility goes? I am asking.
Maybe your camera is mini usb? That was used in a few things but was much less common, micro usb kinda took over, I believe that mini usb was most common in cameras. My Logitech remote control has a mini usb plug (used to plug in to computer to program it) as does an old bluetooth headset that I have, everything else is micro usb. I'd be surprised to see mini usb used in anything released in the last 5-7 years.

Here are the two side by side. Micro usb is thinner.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
The one I posted has USB ports. You plug YOUR phone cord into your phone, the USB end plugs into the charger. ONLY VERY old phones DON'T have a USB end to plug into a PC, car charger or a wall plug. It doesn't matter what the end that plugs into your phone looks like ONLY the other end that plugs into the charger should be USB capable.
BTW my Nokia and Motorola phones used the same type charger cords.
Point missed. Yes standard USB on one end. Non -standard connector on the other has always been my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Maybe your camera is mini usb? That was used in a few things but was much less common, micro usb kinda took over, I believe that mini usb was most common in cameras. My Logitech remote control has a mini usb plug (used to plug in to computer to program it) as does an old bluetooth headset that I have, everything else is micro usb. I'd be surprised to see mini usb used in anything released in the last 5-7 years.

Here are the two side by side. Micro usb is thinner.
See the one on the left. There are at least 3 differing types of just that end. There are more sizes of the one on the right also.

I understand a USB is a USB. But the opposite end on most everything i have or have had never matched other devices.
It was as if they wanted you to buy a new cable each time you bought a device?
I assumed this was the case?
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Point missed. Yes standard USB on one end. Non -standard connector on the other has always been my issue.



See the one on the left. There are at least 3 differing types of just that end. There are more sizes of the one on the right also.

I understand a USB is a USB. But the opposite end on most everything i have or have had never matched other devices.
It was as if they wanted you to buy a new cable each time you bought a device?
I assumed this was the case?
Micro USB is just the one on the right, only one version that I know of. The downstairs charger is a micro USB Blackberry charger, upstairs Samsung micro usb, and HTC micro usb, they all fit every phone that we've had across multiple brands for years now. Pretty much anyone who comes to visit can plug their phones in for a quick charge.

Gone are the days of every phone having a different plug, heck even one brand would have multiple charging ports, it was ridiculous. If you went into a cell phone store with a micro usb charger, it would plug into any phone there with the exception of an iPhone. Even my tablet takes the same charger. My last two phones were used and came without a charger, I just used the ones that I already had regardless of the brand.

Yes, cell phone companies and stores LOVED to charge you $30 for a new car charger or spare every time you bought a phone. One thing that you have to look out for, is if your phone is in a case, some of the micro usb with larger plastic heads can have trouble, even though the plug itself would work.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Micro USB is just the one on the right, only one version that I know of. The downstairs charger is a micro USB Blackberry charger, upstairs Samsung micro usb, and HTC micro usb, they all fit every phone that we've had across multiple brands for years now. Pretty much anyone who comes to visit can plug their phones in for a quick charge.

Gone are the days of every phone having a different plug, heck even one brand would have multiple charging ports, it was ridiculous. If you went into a cell phone store with a micro usb charger, it would plug into any phone there with the exception of an iPhone. Even my tablet takes the same charger. My last two phones were used and came without a charger, I just used the ones that I already had regardless of the brand.

Yes, cell phone companies and stores LOVED to charge you $30 for a new car charger or spare every time you bought a phone. One thing that you have to look out for, is if your phone is in a case, some of the micro usb with larger plastic heads can have trouble, even though the plug itself would work.
I just checked for my own sanity the charger cable for my camera, and my wifes camera cable. Neither fits the other.
Both cameras are relatively new.

I am glad to hear they are actually making both ends universal now. But it seems I have several devices that require their own special cord.
I have one each WD and Seagate ext hard drives and both have differing cable ends with the standard USB on the other end.

I have a box full of cables that do not fit anything I have. All USB type cables. Stuff that i accumulated over the years.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I just checked for my own sanity the charger cable for my camera, and my wifes camera cable. Neither fits the other.
Both cameras are relatively new.

I am glad to hear they are actually making both ends universal now. But it seems I have several devices that require their own special cord.
I have one each WD and Seagate ext hard drives and both have differing cable ends with the standard USB on the other end.

I have a box full of cables that do not fit anything I have. All USB type cables. Stuff that i accumulated over the years.
Yeah, I'm not sure if cameras are standardized yet, but thankfully most phones now are.

I have two external hard drives and one has some funky proprietary plug on one end (seagate) and regular usb on the other. The other drive (Fantom) has the same end that most printers do, and regular usb on the other end. I'm hoping that I don't ever have to replace the Seagate one, that would be a pain.

I too have a box of cables, I never throw one away, because when I do, I'll end up needing it for something!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if cameras are standardized yet, but thankfully most phones now are.

I have two external hard drives and one has some funky proprietary plug on one end (seagate) and regular usb on the other. The other drive (Fantom) has the same end that most printers do, and regular usb on the other end. I'm hoping that I don't ever have to replace the Seagate one, that would be a pain.

I too have a box of cables, I never throw one away, because when I do, I'll end up needing it for something!
I have had very good luck with Seagate. (fingers and toes crossed and wood has been knocked on))
I have had very bad luck with WD.
So hopefully you have the same good luck as me.
I lost all my music files once on a WD ext hard drive. Lucky for me, I had made a copy for my neighbor so I was able to get it all back.
This has happened twice with WD.
The copy I gave my neighbor was on a Seagate drive and hes had it for close to 6-7 years with no issue at all. I now keep a loaded spare on my bookshelf just in case.

I too have seen every printer that has come into this house (usually quite often as printers are less expensive than buying ink for them) has the same end. All of them have the same end.
It has always been phones that have been the issue for me.
When I ordered a phone not long ago, I asked if the phone had a standard USB port. They assured me it did. When it arrived, my cable nor any cable I had would work with it. So I sent the phone back to them.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have had very good luck with Seagate. (fingers and toes crossed and wood has been knocked on))
I have had very bad luck with WD.
So hopefully you have the same good luck as me.
I lost all my music files once on a WD ext hard drive. Lucky for me, I had made a copy for my neighbor so I was able to get it all back.
This has happened twice with WD.
The copy I gave my neighbor was on a Seagate drive and hes had it for close to 6-7 years with no issue at all. I now keep a loaded spare on my bookshelf just in case.

I too have seen every printer that has come into this house (usually quite often as printers are less expensive than buying ink for them) has the same end. All of them have the same end.
It has always been phones that have been the issue for me.
When I ordered a phone not long ago, I asked if the phone had a standard USB port. They assured me it did. When it arrived, my cable nor any cable I had would work with it. So I sent the phone back to them.
I have 2 seagate drives in my home theater PC that are chugging right along and the external hooked to my server PC all doing well. I had a WD drive go bad on me in my laptop shortly after replacing it, the one in there now seems OK.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have 2 seagate drives in my home theater PC that are chugging right along and the external hooked to my server PC all doing well. I had a WD drive go bad on me in my laptop shortly after replacing it, the one in there now seems OK.
I always assumed WD was the better choice. I was wrong!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I always assumed WD was the better choice. I was wrong!
If you buy an external hard drive from a company that doesn't manufacture hard drives, you can get just about anything in there. I'm pretty sure that my Fantom has a seagate inside too.

WD does make some good products, but have had their share of duds lately.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I always assumed WD was the better choice. I was wrong!
I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience, Western Digital does make the more reliable drives - or at least in the last couple of years. I work in IT for a company that purchases hundreds of drives, both internal and external, and WD is their "go to" brand. After having quite a large number (7% total) of Seagate Barracuda drives fail within a 2 year period, they switched over.

And there is also this study, showing reliability rates of three manufacturers. Again, Seagate comes out at the bottom by a long shot:
Who makes the most reliable hard drives? | ExtremeTech

Sorry, but the numbers don't lie. I wish it weren't the case, because I used to really like Seagate drives, and still have a couple of them in use at home.

As with anything else, though, your mileage may vary.

__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.