Can anyone explain why we need Daylight Saving Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who listened to Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers on NPR, Tommy proposed double dog daylight saving time (a two hour clock shift) for those living in New England. Even with DST, in July sunrise is 5:00 AM, and sunset is 8:30 PM. Without DST, sunrise would be 4:00 AM and sunset would be 7:30 PM. As it gets light 30 minutes before actual sunrise, the birds would go off at 3:30 AM.

Maybe we're just in the wrong time zone.

Now, at least with the smart phones people won't be showing up an hour late to work Sunday morning, following the time change. We had that problem when people relied on other means to wake up.

What really annoys me is the twice yearly time change routine. I can live with DS if they kept it year round, although I prefer stay just with ST.
There are more vehicular collisions after the change overs. I agree with you. I could live with a year round change, but prefer it as standard time. Why don't we just change the time work starts in winter?

The never-die thread is back!

Who cares why -- I JUST LOVE IT!!!

Every body who does not like DST is just... well, WRONG!

CD

Last edited:
As the changeover to/from DST seems to be where most problems occur, I'm in favor of DST year round. Actually, I'm in favor of it year round regardless.

As the changeover to/from DST seems to be where most problems occur, I'm in favor of DST year round. Actually, I'm in favor of it year round regardless.

+1... Year around would be great for me..

I also hibernate in winter.. More so in Missouri than I did in Cali..

Ross

DST is mostly just a PIA, setting all the clocks and remembering to set the clock in the truck.

Me too, Ross and Russ. ( :ermm:You guys could be a law firm...:LOL: ) I know what MY solution is to get more light in the evening, but I've been drawing out the process of getting this MA house up for sale and heading back to OH. The sunset difference between here and there is 40 minutes! It's so nice to see a sunset occurring after 9:00 PM...

I am not so sure about that. When we lived in Aransas Pass Tex. it is located right on the cusp of the next western time zone. Bright daylight at 10 p.m. Try to get your kids to bed at that time.

But the up side was that school got out in the middle of May, but started again in August. 85% of the kids were farm kids. Needed at home to work on the farm or ranch.

What really surprised me was just how many kids rode their horses to school. Recess was always spent watering their animals. I couldn't help wonder if the animals knew what DST was all about.

That's a cool chart CG, I set it for Los Angeles and our sunsets are around 8pm in the summer.

I also set it for Aransas Pass Tex. Addie. Your memory of bright sunlight at 10 pm was before the world shifted I guess. :ohmy:

When we visit Alaska in May, sunset will be around midnight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom