"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #41
Proud American

Thank you both! Those looks so very good!

One thing I want to put aboard Catina is a real spice and herb cabinet.

And there is room for new cookware for the galley and I found a good website:

Cookware | KaTom Restaurant Supply, Inc.

And new dishes! Look how colorful and cheerful these are! They are melamine. We can't have china or glass onboard, for flying glass and china will shatter and hurt people:

GET B-86-MIX 8 oz Bowl, 6 in, Melamine, Mardi Gras Mix

And nice flatware:

Winco 0031-10 European Table Spoon, Extra Heavy, 18/8 Stainless Steel, Peacock Design

There are other colors and patterns on the website; I'm just beginning to look through and get ideas. I want the galley to be colorful and very cheerful, while also being efficient and easy to work in. Catina's galley was dark, depressing, uninspiring and tiny. One cook in there was one person too many.

If you have other websites which you know will be a help to me, please share it. If you don't like the direction in which I am going here, please tell me. I can't afford to make even one mistake; this is all for Papa.

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Things look great, ~Cat. I would consider getting your current cook's advice on cookware. I know you said he was up there in years, but he would like to be involved in the new project and he has so much experience for you to learn from.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Things look great, ~Cat. I would consider getting your current cook's advice on cookware. I know you said he was up there in years, but he would like to be involved in the new project and he has so much experience for you to learn from.
Great idea.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #44
Proud American

Oh! I do know he likes bright colors, because we have been to their home for dinner many times and he never liked the plain white dinnerware and the plain flatware on Catina. I didn't either and I was the only one who cared about things like that so we complained about it together, when he wasn't napping.

I do know he likes heavy aluminum, stainless steel, and cast iron and absolutely hates anything non-stick.

I have a new iPhone and I upgraded it to the Straight Talk International service card plan, so I'll get his number from Papa tomorrow and call him. I'll pin him down to exactly what he wants, and perhaps this will entice him to spend one more season with us. That's all I want, just some more time with the Gizzi in his beloved galley. He would run everyone else off who tried to help him except Papa, the deck foreman, and me.

He ordered me around very sternly. Stir this, get me three eggs, cut these potatoes up, move it, girl, wash this, get this, fetch that, get out of the way, girl, and on and on! I had to hurry and scurry to keep up! He wasn't being mean, it's his galley and it's his way of showing he appreciated me by making me work and fussing at me.

I hope none of you think he is mean. He always had extra hugs for me, and every season he would bring me a box of his wife's homemade candy. He and his wife are like an aunt and uncle to me, and they are beloved friends to my family. They have 11 children, 28 grandchildren, and I think 3 great-grandchildren now.

When I call him, I'll let you all know of the changes. Thank you both so very much!

I know his wife has a computer because she and I email each other. I love her! She'll be able to help show the Gizzi what I'm looking at here.

I want to make this galley perfect for him, too, so that maybe I could have just one more season of get this, fetch that, wash these beans, turn those pancakes and bring me the bacon, give me the tongs, watch that gravy, get out of the way, girl, peel this, cut that, sift this, and don't let that scorch!

Oh! I can tell him of these recipes too! He will love this, I do know.

I can hardly wait to talk to him. I hope he'll be proud of me. We will see tomorrow.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

He is already proud of you, he lets you in HIS galley. Mean? not a mean bone in his body, he loves you, too!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He is already proud of you, he lets you in HIS galley. Mean? not a mean bone in his body, he loves you, too!
+1!! He's teaching you in the best way. As you know, on a ship, orders have to be obeyed quickly and unquestioningly, even in the galley.

Did I ever tell you my uncle sailed around the world in a 30-foot sailboat? I got to sail with him and his wife for 5 weeks. It was a great trip
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #47
Proud American

I'm so glad you understand, Ogress and GG. It is his galley and his rules and I tried to show him respect of his domain.

Let's hope we can have just one more season with him. He does love me, and I love him and his wife also!

A 30-foot sailboat? Oh how fun and exciting! You are very lucky!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #48
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
And new dishes! Look how colorful and cheerful these are! They are melamine. We can't have china or glass onboard, for flying glass and china will shatter and hurt people:

GET B-86-MIX 8 oz Bowl, 6 in, Melamine, Mardi Gras Mix
Cat - These are the dishes we have on our boat. It's not near the size of yours, but when Mrs D is in the galley and the waves get rough out on Georgian Bay, we can't have anything that will break. They are made by Corelle and I think we got them at Walmart.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #49
Proud American

Oh my! Those are very pretty. I hadn't thought of Corelle!

I'll go look at Corelle and see if I can find something the Gizzi will like. I think he'll like yours.

What kind of boat do you have?

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh my! Those are very pretty. I hadn't thought of Corelle!

I'll go look at Corelle and see if I can find something the Gizzi will like. I think he'll like yours.

What kind of boat do you have?

With love,
~Cat
I think you would be happy with Corelle. They sure take a beating, pretty much indestructible.
Our boat is a Carver 325, named "Crews Inn II". It depends how you pronounce it.

Tags
fish