"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cats saved my life!

I'm not going to be too melodramatic about this, but my Mom's cat and, in different way, one of my own, saved my life last night. I was doing a pot roast, actually half of one because I was cooking for just me, and I felt it was cooking too quickly. I turned down the temp on my 1920s gas oven to the min, stuck the braiser back in the oven, and went back to the couch and the TV with the timer set on one hour. I fell asleep. For whatever reason—oven door closed too fast, spilled liquid, I don't know—the flame went out. I woke up to my Mom's visiting cat, Freddie, batting my face and my own cat, Blurr, trying to stuff her face under my feet. I smelled the gas, but was groggy. Thankfully, I remembered not to touch anything electric. I opened all the windows and doors--all cats immediately went with noses to the outdoors--swept the propane out, and wound up with nothing worse than a crashing headache. (Where's the headache smiley?) The headache continues, but now it's more from me beating myself over the head. My mother, though very concerned at the time, is getting lots of mileage in Hawaii (that's why her cats are here) about how smart her Freddie is!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Sous Chef

You are lucky

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, I am. Treats for cats.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

You are very lucky..Extra pats for the cats and a big hug for you..So glad you are okay

kadesma
Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
You are very lucky..Extra pats for the cats and a big hug for you..So glad you are okay

kadesma
Yes, I am very lucky. As for pats, I have patted their silly ears off--they're all aver the floor and I can't find the ear glue!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Glad you have your sense of humour! Also glad you had your cats. They are wonderful creatures that way. I am thankful for you that all worked out.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Master Chef

Those cats didn't want to die of gas poisoning any more than you did. And you were the only one who could fix the problem. They acted as an early warning system. Thank heavens for their heightened senses. Pets not only give us love, and someone to love, but can be wonderful first alert critters as well. So many reasons to love your pets.

Glad you're Ok.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Whew.. you owe the cats some fresh fish...

Glad you woke up in time.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wow - that's some story. Gave me shivers up my spine. I hope your headache goes away - are you sure you shouldn't go to the doctor?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{pets}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to all the kitties.

Seriously - the shivers won't go away.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Glad you and the babies are ok!! Maybe you should get a detector in case they can't wake you next time!