"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Cheating at housework

I am dreading the pile of clean laundry downstairs that needs to be folded. Time to pull my favorite cheat, I'm just gonna throw it back in the dryer with the other waiting clothes. dh will come home to a clean house in the morning.

How about the rest of you? Do you sweep the dirt under the rug?

Old 11-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I try not to but I do have a large pile or ironing waiting to be done. Will have to wait until their is something on the tv I can iron to!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've been known to do the same thing cora.... lazy lazy me.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I even put dirty clothes in the washing machine. dh is gonna get home and see no clean clothes waiting to be folded on the couch, no dirty clothes in the basket and an empty closet. LOL
Old 11-13-2006, 04:28 AM   #5
Master Chef

Corazon----favorite tip that I love concerning what to do to resurrect already dried laundry that is still left in the dryer and now full of wrinkles because I've been lazy, busy, etc., is to throw a very damp washcloth in there and heat on a lower setting--it really does help to get out a lot of those wrinkles---now if it's 100% cotton stuff you might have to actually get that iron out after all. Hope this helps!! (:
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Cook

you guys iron?!?!? wow! in my opinion, clothes just finished from a dryer don't need any ironing. here in japan, dryers are virtually nonexistant. they're starting to make washing machines that dry the clothes too. i doubt that more than 1 or 2 out of a hundred homes have a dryer here.
an interesting feature of newer washing machines is that they have a hose which allows you to use your used bathwater for the laundry. in theory anyway, the bathwater stays clean because people wash up outside of the tub, and then just soak in the hot water. the drill in my house is that after bath time, just before bed, i put a load on and use the bathwater (still fairly hot) for the first 2 out of 3 cycles, using regular water for the final rinse. i hang the laundry in the morning.
i used to have to dress up for work when i taught at college or highschools here, but now i run my own school, and jeans and a cotton t-shirt or sweatshirt are the order of the day. un-ironed. i let my daughter fold her own laundry. well, i suppose make is the more appropriate word.
i don't "cheat" at the housework, but i suppose you could say that i'm pretty comfortable in a house that has that "lived-in" feeling. lol
Old 11-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss J
I try not to but I do have a large pile or ironing waiting to be done. Will have to wait until their is something on the tv I can iron to!
weighing in again here, i like to crank up some tunes when the housework gets serious. housework & a little dance workout, coupled with some caffeine and maybe some chocolate!!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Head Chef

My cheats: clean windows make the room look cleaner (and the vinegar seems to "clean the air") failing that, furniture polish sprayed in the room makes it smell clean, lol. We don't use central heating much, but when we do I often put a sheet of the things you put in the dry to soften and freshen clothes behind the rad, they smell great. I have only had one dryer, the one in our London home, but we don't use it that often, I love it but I am used to coping with out so my environmental tingle goes if I dry too much, lol.

Oh yeah, if you wax bathroom tiles with car wax (which is admittedly hard work) for the next six months ish you can hose them down with out scrubbing or cleaning and the dirt and limescale don't stick, so bathroom cleaning takes mintues rather than an hour!

IMHO there is a secret to ironing. Resign yourself to doing it, but don't think of a household chore, think aromatherapy steam treatment. Get some fragranced water (I know lavender is traditional, but I prefer violet) spray away and steam your clothes and you face in front of goood tv or the radio. As soon as its a beauty treatment rather than a chore it seems slightly less bad.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I just got this new product called "Wrinkle Free" - It is a spray you mist on wrinkled clothes - you put on hanger and smooth with your hands - wrinkles gone - Try it you will be amazed - I have also known to put clothes back in the washer on rinse cycle and retoss in dryer to get the wrinkles out - lol
Old 11-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I used under my bed for about 4 years untill my parents found out and forced me to do an empty and complete clean of my entire room. It took me 4 hours.