Classical Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goboenomo said:
My girlfriend used to figure skate so she can recognize some of my music.
Every time I play Jupiter Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst she always points out that she knows it.

But she still bugs me when I play my classical music.

She's a speed skater now, she's place 6th place in Canada when she went to the Nationals or something in Yukon
Did you see the link to the youtube of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 played by Evgeny Kissin at the top of this page?

Nice list.
You should check out Bizet's L'arlesienne Suites.
There is alot of famous stuff in there. You should look more into other stuff.
Mahler, Shostakovich, Xenakis, Reed and others.

Wow, compliments to your girlfriend!
Yes, the clip of Kissin was nice, thanks for sharing... also for the suggestions, I will check them out when I get a chance!

I'm not a huge fan of classical music, but I do appreciate it and enjoy listening from time to time. The only cd I own is Vivaldi's Four Seasons which tends to find its way into the player after an overly strenuous (sp?) day (if I have the car with the cd player, which hasn't happened for a while).

If I want to just chill, and maybe take a nap, then something classical does the trick.

All depends what kind of classical it is.
I have some pieces that you couldnt sleep to
because they are too strong and loud
or they have such a great tune you have to tap or move to it.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is great!
I love summer! and the... Presto? i think the movement is
well the string are going deadly fast
You could tell if you heard it.

I'm a hornist, so needless to say I also like Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony, but it is not my favorite. There are several that tie for that "honor," Mahler 5th, Brahms 3rd, Sibelius' 2nd, Dvorak's (old) 2nd.

Favorite piano concerto is Brahms 2nd; favorite violin concerto is the Mendelssohn, favorite Cello Concerto is the Dvorak; favorite horn concerto is the Gliere.

I also love opera. this post could take all day, so I'll just leave it at that. :D

Good stuff
not a big fan of Mahler 5
i looove Mahler 1

Dvoraks Cello Concerto is great! I played that a couple months ago with my youth Orchestra. Fun clarinet solo at the start :D

I was trained in classical voice and piano as part of my "proper" upbringing. I loved the piano, and became a virtuoso. I didn't major in music, but it was my hobby for many years after I was a grown woman, and I even made a little extra money as a church soloist, and for singing at weddings and funerals.

I enjoy some of all kinds of music, actually. If you looked at my collection of recordings, you'd find Aerosmith, Beethovin, Beatles, BB King, Chopin, Dylan, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Frankie Valley, Grieg Sonatas, on and on ad infinitum.

i dont know any of those others
i just know the classical composers in that list

not a big fan of Chopin

I came to classical music late in life, and am still not very knowledgeable. I don't get good radio reception in my house, or I'd listen to it more (yes, I have several CDs, but because of the radio problem, I don't really have the opportunity to listen to different music and decide what I like). I started listening to classical when we were on the road and I fell in love with NPR. Ironically, now I cannot get NPR consistently, so have been buying CDs when it appeals to me and the price is right.

Tchaikovsky is one of my favourites too, but a couple of my other favourites are; Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, from Solomon, by Handel and Pachelbel's Canon in D.

Everybody likes Pachelbel's Canon

You would probably like Handel's Water Music Suite.

Love "Fur Elise", also love the Nutcraker ballet, not too good with the names, just like the melodies... but then I'm like that with all kinds of music.

That's just common, famous pieces. Try checking out some other things that not everybody knows.

I do, just like I said don't know the names. Have a tendency of putting classical on galaxy station and just letting it go.

Back
Top Bottom