Cold and Flu Season Has Begun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Over the weekend, my house was hit with nasty, nasty colds--high temps, chest congestion, the whole shebang!:mad: It seems like everyone around this area's sick. Has it hit where you are yet?

Here's hoping you all stay healthier than we are at the moment! Rest, enjoy your good cooking and remember flu and pneumonia shots! Hopefully we'll all be recovered that I'll be able to be back around here more soon.

Sorry you guys have been under the weather.

I was at the doctor's office today and got a flu shot while I was there.

Yep it has hit this area too. Everyone in my house was sick last week (or was it two weeks ago).

We are seeing a lot of strep around here too.

For the first time ever I will be getting the flu shot this year. I have always been against getting it as it always seems that the people who get the shot get the flu and those that don't get the shot stay healthy, but with two small children at home and working in a small office and the Doc's recommending it (and taking it themselves) i figured it is the right thing to do.

I've got a pretty bad cold and so does my boss and one of the shop boys... haven't seen the flu around here YET though.

I've got a pretty bad cold and so does my boss and one of the shop boys... haven't seen the flu around here YET though.

PA, I hope you and your family feel better soon!!!
Rest and take care of YOU!!:)

There's been a very persistent cold/upper respiratory virus floating around Texas. It went through my house, too, which was very annoying since we almost never get sick. Thankfully, no one was extremely ill but it seems to last a long time with a lingering cough and also seems to be very contagious.

I was so glad that my youngest is 5. Colds make babies and toddlers miserable! I'll bet Sophie felt really awful, Baker. And your tiny one must have been very cranky, GB. I remember being so thankful when the kids got old enough to blow their noses so they could breathe and feel better.

my wife and Daughter have had 2 Colds in this month alone! :(
and my Lab partner has the Flu (so she says), I think it`s just a nasty cold else she wouldn`t be in lessons.

fortunately, I`ve managed to dodge the bullet twice (I usually do) so at least One of us is well enough to go to the shops.

I think Germs and Bugs Fear me :)

Just got my flu shot today at work. I always get it ASAP every year due to a compromised immune system. I haven't seen it around my area yet, but I want my immunity to be fully kicked in before it arrives, if possible.

I've never had the flu, and it seems to me that since I've been getting the shot (at least 10 years in a row), I haven't had a cold, either - maybe 1 or 2 in 10 years.

my wife and Daughter have had 2 Colds in this month alone! :(
and my Lab partner has the Flu (so she says), I think it`s just a nasty cold else she wouldn`t be in lessons.

fortunately, I`ve managed to dodge the bullet twice (I usually do) so at least One of us is well enough to go to the shops.

I think Germs and Bugs Fear me :)
I think they fear me, too. (Although my daughter says it's that my body is an inhospitable environment for germs because I'm so mean.) I get sick so rarely that when I told my mom I was mad because I caught this cold thing, she called me twice a day because she was convinced something was terribly, terribly wrong. She said she couldn't remember when the last time was I had been sick - definitely years though. (And I've never had a flu shot - go figure!)

It has certainly hit here in CT. Two days ago, my husband started saying he "feels funny", now its a full blown cold. I also know at least 3 friends who have similar colds.

Thank goodness we'll be getting our flu shots next week. It feel like summer just ended yesterday and now we're all talking about the flu. Emotionally, I'm not ready for winter!

We got hit with colds. I'm just getting over mine. Don got it night before last.
Hopefully Billy can dodge the bullet.

James had a really bad cold a little over a week ago. We both had routine check-ups at the doctor Friday and we asked about getting flu shots. It turned out we were both running low-grade fevers, so we couldn't get a shot. The good news is that the doctor said we are both doing so well that we don't need to go back for 6 months. My blood glucose levels have been really good the last few times, which I am really glad for.

I don't feel well today--upset stomach, but hopefully it isn't something that will last. I rarely get an upset stomach.

I hope everyone else is healthy and, as my dad always says, fit as a fiddle!

:)Barbara

Yep it has hit this area too. Everyone in my house was sick last week (or was it two weeks ago).

We are seeing a lot of strep around here too.

For the first time ever I will be getting the flu shot this year. I have always been against getting it as it always seems that the people who get the shot get the flu and those that don't get the shot stay healthy, but with two small children at home and working in a small office and the Doc's recommending it (and taking it themselves) i figured it is the right thing to do.
I used to feel that same way until February of 2005, when I caught the flu, and having been a healthy sort all my life, I guess I didn't know what I had. It got worse, turned into double pneumonia, then septic shock set in and I had every major organ fail. Two separate hospitalizations, with the family having to sign the DNR order and two nights where it was touch and go as to whether I'd live through them. Three months of recuperation at home, and 7 months with a paralyzed vocal chord from all the tubes that went down the ol' windpipe. I still have some resulting voice damage. I was just released by the heart Dr. this spring, after over two years of follow up.

I'm first in line for the flu shot these days - I'm high risk now. To drive the point home even more, when I left my cubicle at the end of the day today, I put my telephone in a cabinet and locked it up, since I'd seen evidence that some stranger has used it after hours. Every few of days, I wipe the entire desk area down with sanitizing wipes. I take no chances. I hate being like that, but I never want to go through anything like this again.

BC

Guess Buck and I have hearty "constitutions." The last time I had the flu was, no joke, in 1969. Rarely get anything, even a cold. If I do feel as though I have a cold, I don't have to put up with it for more than a couple of days.

The last time Buck had the flu was probably around 1978 or so. He was dog sick and was out for nearly a week. Still, nothing more than a little runny nose here and there since then.

Nothing's apparent in our region. It's been quite warm and folks have been keeping windows/doors open, which is good because the germies can't hole up and incubate. I think we'll see more illness when everyone battens down the hatches for cold weather.

James tends to catch any respiratory things going around. I don't catch a lot of things from people. I did have bronchitis earlier this year. Now that I'm not working with kids anymore (they were sick all the time) I will probably start catching stuff!

Here's a question for you all. What is your normal temperature? 98.6? Higher or lower?

My normal temperature is 97.6. If I get up to 99 I usually feel dragged out and listless. I felt kind of funny a few minutes ago and checked it, and my temperature was 96.7. When I am in a lot of pain (usually because of kidney stones) it will go as low as 95.5.

:)Barbara

You may try this remedy to prevent cold and flu:

swallow a clove of garlic (preferebly the variety of garlic, which has only one clove) each morning in empty stomach.

that should prevent any face to face conversations as well, radhuni. ;)

thankfully, my little buddy made it through haloween before getting sick. half of his class was out last week with a wicked sinus infection. but he finally succumbed, then dw cought a little cold.

i'm amazed at how much mucus can come out of a tiny little person.

Boston is in a Declared State of Emergency. We have over 700 reported cases. And more hospitals have set up triage tents outside the hospital. I have a appointments next Tuesday and Wednesday at the hospital. I have to admit. I am nervous about going there. I feel like I am gong into the lions den. I have never had the flu and never had a flu shot. I will definitely will be wearing a mask. The last time I remember this city having such an emergency was in 1965 during the measles epidemic. The deaths were being reported everyday in the newspapers.

Part of the problem, like NYC, is that our subway and ground level transportation system goes out past 35 miles. Our commuter rail system goes up to Portland, ME and down to RI. Then I90 brings in commuters from VT. I93 brings them in from the countryside of NH all the way from the borders of Canada. So each day we have more than 1M folks pouring into the city via our transportation system. Scary stuff. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom