"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Cold packs

I made DIY cold packs (to use on injuries or for headaches, or any other minor pain that benefits from cold). I know that, in a pinch, a bag of frozen peas or corn work just great, but multiple freezings and thawing leave you with a cold rock of frozen veggies. These don’t freeze, so there’s no danger of that.

It’s very basic: one part 91% rubbing alcohol to two parts water in a ziplock bag. Remove as much air as is possible and seal. It doesn’t turn to ice, gets really cold, and stays cold for quite a while. Just make sure that the plastic bag is sealed well and doesn’t leak.

I would like it to be more viscous though. Is there anything I could add that would make the mixture a little more gel-like? Gelatin?

Mark and I both use cold packs frequently. Any input from y’all would be welcomed.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I made DIY cold packs (to use on injuries or for headaches, or any other minor pain that benefits from cold). I know that, in a pinch, a bag of frozen peas or corn work just great, but multiple freezings and thawing leave you with a cold rock of frozen veggies. These don’t freeze, so there’s no danger of that.

It’s very basic: one part 91% rubbing alcohol to two parts water in a ziplock bag. Remove as much air as is possible and seal. It doesn’t turn to ice, gets really cold, and stays cold for quite a while. Just make sure that the plastic bag is sealed well and doesn’t leak.

I would like it to be more viscous though. Is there anything I could add that would make the mixture a little more gel-like? Gelatin?

Mark and I both use cold packs frequently. Any input from y’all would be welcomed.
You might try adding those gel beads (found in arts and craft stores) that swell up 10 times their size absorbing 300 times their weight in moisture.

https://www.reallygoodstuff.com/wate...iABEgKiF_D_BwE

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Just use the gel beads and stuffing from a diaper, ask any parent and you'll find out quickly that those diapers hold a TON of moisture (well, not actually a ton, unless it's a really big diaper.) You could probably ask a mom on the street or playground for a diaper or two for $2. No point in buying a huge pack of diapers.

I use tea towels, those thin cotton white towels in the kitchen, I fold them to fit neatly into a gallon zip lock bag, then I add enough water to moisten the towel but no more. Freeze that. I use 4 of them, for hip pain, leg pain, back pain. It works well and while they are stiff at first, they begin to form fit after they start to thaw.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

....or... you can just buy cold gel packs for exactly what you need them for.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
....or... you can just buy cold gel packs for exactly what you need them for.

That sounds like SO MUCH TROUBLE to go through.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote