"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Cook

Unhappy Copyright infringement & plagarism

I've noticed with some concern that some members are publishing on the forums, word for word text and recipes which have appeared as copyrighted material on other web sites, without referencing their source.

There are a zillion recipe variations and those of us who to love to cook throw in a dash of this and a pinch of that to a standard version thus altering the original that little bit. If we pass our variation along on a forum like this we should at least say the original was in Dora McGinty's Great dishes of Zaire, or something. That'd be polite.

Some members do do this and even cite the URL which is the right thing to do.

But to pass off someone else's recipe - line-by-line and even word-for-word the text that prefaced it, as their own, is a bit rough

missM

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Posting a copyrighted recipe word for word along the the source - book title and author - DOES NOT make it OK from a copyright infringement point of view. It may be the courteous thing to do but in a legal case, it's evidence that you knowingly copied something illegally.

The appropriate thing to do is to post only a link to the website it came from.

If you've used a copyrighted recipe for inspiration and changed it, it may be post-able if you've made a substantial change to the directions (changing the ingredients doesn't count, an ingredient list is not copyrightable).

If you've copied a recipe from another site and posted it here as your own, it's not only illegal, it's rude.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

What's sad is that most recipes you find on the net are probably 10 times copied already, if not more.
THis is why I don't post recipes here anymore... scared to!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
What's sad is that most recipes you find on the net are probably 10 times copied already, if not more.
THis is why I don't post recipes here anymore... scared to!
But it's OK to post a link.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Cook

The copying was so blatantly obvious on three posts today, that I googled and had hits for 2 within minutes. The third is obvious, but I couldn't find the source easily, and its not that important, just sad as grillingfool says.
The forum is meant to be fun, helpful and informative, so I just don't see the point in someone trying this form of oneupmanship which ultimately makes them look foolish.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Everymom

Hopefully those folks have permission to repost.

Any time something on the site bothers you, doesn't look right, or you think needs a Moderator's attention I urge you to hit the Report Post button. All moderators are immediately notified and someone will assess the situation. Thanks so much for being concerned about the site, we really appreciate that!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It is an unfortunate reality of the net. . .

You can always report the post. I know the mod Admin team here don't like to have copyright issues kicking around.

lol, as Alix just said
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Is there anything new under the sun when it comes to recipes?
For example, how can a basic beef stew recipe be copyrighted, when the ingredients and instructions are the same? Who the heck first published that recipe, and where and when? Most of us have "scraps of paper" recipes we've used for years, that came from who knows where, not to mention hand me down recipes from family members. If we were all afraid of copyright laws, we'd never be able to share anything here. As far as I know, I've never violated a recipe copyright, and there are lots of things I'm afraid of, but copyright laws for recipes isn't one of them. Just my opinion

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Everymom

Ingredient lists can NOT be copyrighted, but INSTRUCTIONS can. Please take a second and check out our Community Rules to refresh your memory about copyright.

Generally speaking, if your recipe has been written on a recipe card, or scrap of paper and passed along for a generation or so you are all good. When you post your instructions, just post in your own words exactly how you make things. Those instructions are yours.

C&P is only OK if you have permission from the original poster.

Does that help or did I just confuse the heck out of everyone!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
C&P is only OK if you have permission from the original poster.

Does that help or did I just confuse the heck out of everyone!
Actually, C&P is only OK if you have permission from the copyright holder (which is not always the original poster).