DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi lexi! happy anniversary! how many years are you married? 'taste of edmonton' looks like an awsome full-entertainment place where to go for your celebrations, lexi.:) what an extensive menu of cuisine to choose from! i'm ravenous just reading through some of their food offerings....say, how did your photo album for your honey turn out? were you ever able to scale it down to a workable size?
btw, what's your secret to a successful long-term union, alix? can you share?

Last edited:
Thanks taxlady and vitauta! I'm really looking forward to sampling stuff. The bison stuffed cannelloni and the pomegranate quail sound interesting. Not to mention the desserts...omg...desserts!

The photo book was a HUGE struggle and I finally gave up. I had everything sorted, and organized and then I tried to scan the photos I wanted. Oh my lord. I can't even begin to tell you the nightmares that ensued. Some of the oldest photos are stuck to the album pages and there is no way to remove them without damaging them. So...scan them on the album page? Well that just does NOT work. I tried a few other things and finally had a stomping hissy fit and gave up.

I wrote him a little something about our years together instead. I'm not as talented a writer as my daughter, but it was heartfelt. He also got a body pillow and the choice of a new mattress when we can shop for one. Romantic huh? LOL! I got a diamond pendant. Sheesh. So much for not breaking the bank.

We've been married 20 years this year. I'm looking forward to the next 20. And as far as a secret to staying together for a long time...no idea. I think for us it has to do with marrying your best friend. Ken is the first one I think of when I want to share something, good or bad. He's the one that makes me laugh the hardest and hugs the best when I'm sad. I don't think there is really any secret to staying married a long time except to really mean it when you say your vows. We did. Both our parents were married a long time Ken's were at 40 when his dad passed and mine were at 56 when my Dad died. We're aiming for 75.

I'm enjoying the lovely weather and having a second cup on the patio. Ken's taking the dog out for a walk and then we'll go wander about together when he gets home.

aw, what sweet, loving words of tribute for your honey, alix. more of us should be marrying our best friends instead of looking for handsome, mysterious bad boys, carrying an air of excitement and danger....
give ken a peek at your post, alix--so praising and appreciative of your man....:)

Bad boys are fun, but they tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Best friends are forever. Ken knows how I feel. I tell him lots. Like the Beatles say, "I may not have a lot to give, but what I got, I'll give to you." I've got words and hugs.

We had a little giggle about some of the uglier things we've seen. Ken had knee surgery once upon a time, and I brought him some treats in the hospital and he promptly threw up on my purse. I married him anyway. ;)

Oh Alix, taste of Edmonton looks fantastic! I went to taste of Kalamazoo once in Michigan, but I am sure yours is much bigger!:)

Bad boys are fun, but they tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Best friends are forever. Ken knows how I feel. I tell him lots. Like the Beatles say, "I may not have a lot to give, but what I got, I'll give to you." I've got words and hugs.

We had a little giggle about some of the uglier things we've seen. Ken had knee surgery once upon a time, and I brought him some treats in the hospital and he promptly threw up on my purse. I married him anyway. ;)

:wub: Now that is love! :angel:

Here's to the first 20 Alix: :flowers: Meet you back here in 20 more for your next bouquet? :)

... more of us should be marrying our best friends instead of looking for handsome, mysterious bad boys, carrying an air of excitement and danger......

Bingo! At least I think that's what works. After dating some rather, ahem, "interesting" guys (which probably contributed to my Mom's heart problems...) I became engaged to Himself, a nice, stable, employed Catholic guy. (The "Catholic" was very important with Mom after #1 was Lutheran, #2 was Jewish, and who knows what faith the later guys were.) Himself and I had known each other for 8 years before we even dated, and his sis was my best friend in high school, so I knew all his flaws and he knew mine. As soon as we started dating we knew it was right. :wub: We've been married for 38 1/2 years....probably 34 of them happily. It's sticking with each other and working through any tough times that makes it all the sweeter. ;)

I had a friend whose husband had an affair with a girlfriend of hers. She immediately wanted to file for a divorce. I asked her what do you do with the divorce once you have it? Do you frame the paper up on the wall for everyone to see you had a major failing in your life? What do you tell folks about your immediate action when you found a flaw in your marriage? Do you tell them you are a quitter? Think about it and after six months if you still want one and am not interested in working at your marriage, then go for it.

In those six months she realized just how much she was still in love with him and after being separated for only four months, they decided to try again. They have been married 40+ years now to their best friend. There are worse things that can happen in a marriage than infidelity. Losing one's spouse or a child. Losing your home to a disaster along with all the physical memories. Physical abuse by your spouse. Having a loved one just disappear and never knowing what happened to them. If you don't believe me listen to the evening news or pick up your local newspaper. Hear about all the tragedies that other folks go through. Would you rather have one of their problems? Would you rather always wonder why didn't your child get on the school bus that morning?

It takes a lot of hard work to make a marriage work. So dig in and get ready for that wonderful bumpy road call "together for ever". You will have a lot of laughs and sharing along the way. :angel:

I was in a rush at the grocery store. I was just going to buy some coffee. TP was on special, so I grabbed some and hurried to the coffee aisle. I grabbed three packages of coffee. The one on the right is what I thought I was getting, but when I got home, I noticed that I had gotten the one on the left.

20130801_114722.jpg

The Camardo is just a little bit darker than my wonderful Lavazza. Just enough that the aroma of the grounds has that earthy scent that I don't like. It's okay coffee, but the other two packages are going to be emergency coffee. I need more cream in it too.

That'll teach me to pay better attention, I hope.

I buy the regular roast of Folgers Coffee, large canister. You do have to pay attention. There are very little subtle differences in their appearances of the different blends. Aside from the weight of each one. It is very easy to grab the wrong one. And not with just coffee. Deceptive packaging. :angel:

I was in a rush at the grocery store. I was just going to buy some coffee. TP was on special, so I grabbed some and hurried to the coffee aisle. I grabbed three packages of coffee. The one on the right is what I thought I was getting, but when I got home, I noticed that I had gotten the one on the left.

The Camardo is just a little bit darker than my wonderful Lavazza. Just enough that the aroma of the grounds has that earthy scent that I don't like. It's okay coffee, but the other two packages are going to be emergency coffee. I need more cream in it too.

That'll teach me to pay better attention, I hope.

Why not just take the two unopened packages back for the right ones?

Back
Top Bottom