Dining while on vacation, trying new foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C4to, that's a pretty fancy-pants cooler! I use a either a Coleman 30-something cooler, or a Thermos 50-something one. We toss in a couple of old, 59-oz juice bottles that have been filled with water and frozen, and take off for shopping or vacation. Perfect for a day-trip down to Stew Leonard's to check out their meat deals. We even use it for our annual November trip to Fort Myers Beach. Three days of driving, all packed foods are cold, and there is still some ice in the bottles! Same results when we drive to OH in summer - we take two days then. Yeah, we're cheap. :LOL:

...Incidentally that is why I was looking for a large size thermos. Still have not found any that would work...
Charlie, I checked out the Thermos website; the largest food thermal food jar I could find was 24 ounces. If you want to take a look, this is the link to the item's page. When you have time, you might want to poke around the rest of Thermos' website to see if they offer something even larger. Good luck. ~~ I just saw a Michael Smith TV show where he helped out at a kosher wedding. Bless you for keeping Kosher, you show great dedication to your faith. Growing up Catholic pre-Vatican II, I always thought it was tough to not eat meat just on Fridays! :ermm:

C4to, that's a pretty fancy-pants cooler! I use a either a Coleman 30-something cooler, or a Thermos 50-something one. We toss in a couple of old, 59-oz juice bottles that have been filled with water and frozen, and take off for shopping or vacation. Perfect for a day-trip down to Stew Leonard's to check out their meat deals. We even use it for our annual November trip to Fort Myers Beach. Three days of driving, all packed foods are cold, and there is still some ice in the bottles! Same results when we drive to OH in summer - we take two days then. Yeah, we're cheap. :LOL:
:

We used to use a normal cooler, but even a good cooler is $50, and I figure it this way, them 3 or 4 bottles of ice take up the space where I can put a few bottles of drinks. We used to stop and buy ice to replenish the cooler, in the winter we used to put our food pack on the roof rack., I guess we are getting lazier, with the 2 kids we need a lot of storage, they eat like little horses..

Kids DO make you change your way of doing things! Now that we're back to "newlywed" status, we can do as we danged well please. Mostly. Sometimes the joints and muscles don't play nice...

Thank you everybody for tips. We usually do not go for longer than a day trip. Cooler is normally not a problem. That Burton stove is kind of interesting, but I cannot always bring that either. Like for example we are thinking about going to Disney Land. So it is walking around a park the whole day. If I had a large thermos I can just put it into a backpack and schlep (carry around) with me. My mom used to have a perfect family size thermos. It was 3 liters thermos (about one gallon). She would pack some meat and a side dish in it, and it would stay hot like a whole day. That was ideal.

... Growing up Catholic pre-Vatican II, I always thought it was tough to not eat meat just on Fridays! :ermm:

Not growing up keeping kosher, it is a new thing last 16-17 years, I used to love Fridays. There was this restaurant inside grocery store, they made the best fish fry on Fridays. So, almost every Friday my wife and I would go there to have fish fry. Loved it. ;)

Thank you everybody for tips. We usually do not go for longer than a day trip. Cooler is normally not a problem. That Burton stove is kind of interesting, but I cannot always bring that either. Like for example we are thinking about going to Disney Land. So it is walking around a park the whole day. If I had a large thermos I can just put it into a backpack and schlep (carry around) with me. My mom used to have a perfect family size thermos. It was 3 liters thermos (about one gallon). She would pack some meat and a side dish in it, and it would stay hot like a whole day. That was ideal.

Just FYI, I'd check on whether or not you are allowed to bring something that large into Disney Land. There was a big to do in the paper a while back about Disney World getting REAL selective about what they were allowing people to bring in and even conducting checks on backpacks (like they do in airports) and such before allowing people to come into the parks in Florida.

The restaurants in the parks are pretty good about catering to a wide variety of food needs so there are probably kosher foods/drinks available, Although food at Disney is pretty pricey across the board.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom