"Dinner" or "Supper" / "Lunch" or "Dinner?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, MadCook. Nothing 'snobby' in there as far as I'm concerned.

Good explanation, thank you. So you would have to make it clear if it was just an Afternoon tea or a High Tea?

Does anyone do that any more? Except maybe at Buckingham Palace? ;)
Your guest would know which it was by the time on the invitation.

Of course, if you were mistress of Downton Abbey, the invitation to tea would be understood as meaning afternoon tea so wouldn't be necessary to give the time on the invitation.

LOL-----that mechanic must have a totally different concept of dinner. (Oh, but wait------ did he say WHAT DAY that imaginary dinner was? :LOL: :LOL: )

Here in SC, dinner is lunch. And supper is what I always knew dinner to be.

Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner. In this order.

Since i showed up around dinner time to pick up my car, I must assume the mechanic was already home eating his supper. I mean dinner....LOL :LOL:

For us, it's lunch for the noon meal and dinner for the evening meal. We have been known to use dinner and supper interchangeably as my Canadian DH grew up with supper as the evening meal and if a large meal was served at noon then it was dinner. This I believe is all a hold over from his family's farming days on the Saskatchewan Prairies. My Midwestern grandmother was also known to use supper for the evening meal. I also agree with others, it's always dinner for holiday meals no matter what time they are served (excluding breakfast) ? I think it really is a matter of region here in North America. ?. I seem to remember this topic coming up before on DC ;) I still say I don't care what you call just don't call me "late" for it! ?

Back
Top Bottom