Disturbing the Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spend time outside for the peace and quiet and the serenity and beauty of simply being outside, natural and natures sounds are why I'm out there.

Toss wind chimes in that equation? They don't belong. Our across the street neighbors have wind chimes on their front porch. When the wind blows from a certain direction and our windows are open over night, they sound like cow bells clanging.

I keep saying that one of these days I'm going to cut them down. I don't think anyone should have the right to inflict their idea of pleasant sounds on anyone else. No one else in the area has those things, rather tacky. Of course their living area is on the other side of their house so they not only never hear them, they never spend outside time around the cow bells to hear how annoying they are.

Great topic!

It is 80ºF already. I want to go up to my daughters, but not before she answers her phone. She isn't answering her house or cell. I want to bring her a lobster roll. Just for her. She better answer soon.

Fortunately I live in an elderly housing complex. Everyone except me is in bed by nine pm. They have Bingo night here twice a week, and it starts at 6 and ends at 8 on the dot. By then they are all yawning.

Any noise in this building is because someone has reserved the Community Room for a party. The latest I have ever seen someone holding a gathering down there was after my sister's wake. The whole family came back for food and it broke up after eleven pm. A couple of the tenants came down late and started all the cleanup for the family. Which was very nice of them.

My next door neighbor has two daughters. I have never in my long life heard any child speak to their parent they way they scream at the top of their voice at her. One time it was so bad I almost called the police. Instead I knocked on her door and asked if everything was all right. I mentioned that I almost called the police because I thought she had been hurt. I guess that shook her and her daughters up, because there has been no more yelling at such a pitch since. There has been yelling, but on a lot lower pitch. :angel:

Addie, that story reminds me of when I moved into an apartment building years ago. The first night, there were noises coming from the apartment next door that sounded like someone being thrown up against the wall. There was no yelling (or moaning LOL). I was so scared. In time I met the couple next door and they were strange. Didn't stay long. They moved out in the middle of the night.

I have a neighbor that is in love with his leaf blower. He blows every day. :LOL: At least he waits until late morning to use it, it's always about 9:30. I could set my clock by it, he's so timely. lol

I use mine at least every other day. I like a nice and neat looking driveway and patio.
There is no particular time and what time it is would make little difference in my hood.
Morning, afternoon or evening are all okay by me. LOL

Last edited:
<rant>I hate leaf blowers with a passion. We used to have a neighbor across the street who would blow leaves from the yard into the street, even on windy days when the wind would blow them back onto the yard, and on and on. Then he would blow the back yard into the alley, and I swear he blew the dirt alley.

I actually called the police on a guy a neighbor had hired to take care of her yard. On a Sunday afternoon, he spent a solid two hours blowing the yard and trying to blow WET leaves around the curb of the street. I reminded him that the street cleaner was coming in two days and would clean that up. He said it didn't have enough power to clean it!!!! wtf?

The policeman tried to tell me the guy was just trying to make a living. I told him if the neighbor had been playing a stereo that loud, he would have no problem telling them to turn it down. Noise is noise.

I firmly believe we have way too many labor-saving devices in this country, which contributes to the problem of having so many overweight people. Get a rake and a broom and get some exercise while you clean your yard!! <rant over>

I for one miss gardening and yard work. They old fashion way. With a rake and shovel. And sometimes even down on my knees while planting. The first time I mowed a very large lawn, it was on a rider mower. I was scared to death of that thing. I don't even like using a power mower. The last time I had a yard that had lawn, I had an old fashion mower, that I pushed myself. I had a neighbor stop by and tell me he had heard that clickety clackety sound since he was a kid. He even asked me if he could have a quick turn using it. It was how he earned money as a kid. Mowing lawns with his father's manual mower. :angel:

Leaf Blowers??? Oh, we must live on the same street. Every Sunday there is a man a few houses away that does nothing all day but blow leaves, wet leaves, leaves covered with snow, you name it, he's out there. When grass cutting time comes around, every Sunday again, around 9:30 a.m., out with the blower. Heaven only knows what he's blowing that the breeze won't move. He stops for a lunch break, then back out till late afternoon. We believe he has to be hard of hearing. Between cow bell chimes clanging and the routine Sunday blower, our quiet out of the way subdivision has become noisy at times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom