"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Can't help but keep coming to look at your kitchen. Only third time, i came back to look. Gosh, don't you think the kitchen should always be the biggest room in the house? do you have pantries too? My sister, who hates to cook, has big kitchen plus pantries she can walk into. I am NOT jealous but wonder how this happens? or why?

JoeV, you have a kitchen like my sister but you enjoy working in yours, don't you?

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #42
Head Chef
I love working in the kitchen and I love having my guests keep me company while I do. A long long time ago, I had a dinner party and everyone went outside while I was cooking. I was hurt and felt like I was somehow catering a dinner party and not the host.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #43
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I'm rarely annoyed by people while I am cooking in the kitchen - I like cooking and talking --- I do get annoyed when I am cleaning up and there is not even an offer to help - annoying!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #44
Senior Cook
I can't say I get annoyed, but I do however have a tendency to screw up a recipe more often when someone is in the kitchen; especially when they are trying to have a conversation with me. The other day I was making Ol-blue's Surprise Lemon Cake, while my husband and one of our daughter's were in the kitchen, and wouldn't ya know it, after I took the cake out of the oven, I noticed that the cake didn't rise as much as it should of. I then looked up on the kitchen counter and saw what I forgot to add to the mix...the eggs. Needless to say we still ate the cake, as it was good, but I now know and see what can happen to a cake when one forgets to add the eggs; especially after you cut into it. My hubby and I still enjoyed the cake, it was good, and I ate mine with some Cool Whip.
Domestic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #45
Normally I don't mind company in the kitchen, I love to chat as I prepare and cook. However, when my 21 month old son comes in and starts pulling plastic containers out and putting them at my feet (then usually he walks away, leaving the containers there for me to trip over ), I start to get a little bit irritated.

I'm constantly saying "Out, out!" and picking the containers up, it drives me crazy. But he's a little sweetie normally, bless his cotton socks, so it's impossible to get angry with him for doing it, he's just a little fella
Sparkly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #46
Certified Cake Maniac
I have a very tiny galley kitchen and there is little room for people to stand around in it, but I don't mind anyone coming in whether it is to chat or help. In fact, I love it when DH or our border sit at the table (just outside the kitchen) and chat with me while I work. Lately I have been doing a lot of sitting at the table doing prep because of my leg and it is great to have the company.

I grew up in a home where the kitchen was the centre of most activity. The living room was where you went if you wanted to watch TV or for a huge crowd, but the kitchen was where most casual visiting went on while my Mom would be creating meals or baking. I love that way of life!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I put my grandson in the high chair near the stove so he can watch. It's as effective as Sesame Street at keeping his attention.

from now on, when i read andy m's post, i'll hear it in my head in grover's voice.

to-day boys and girls, we are going to make osso bucco. can you say that, os-so bu-co? very good. laa laaaa la laaaaaa.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #48
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
I'm rarely annoyed by people while I am cooking in the kitchen - I like cooking and talking --- I do get annoyed when I am cleaning up and there is not even an offer to help - annoying!
I love cooking and talking too. Cooking is second nature to me so I don't really have to concentrate. I just want people to sit at my table and talk, not stand behind, next to and over me while I'm trying to cook.

As for clean up, as long they clear the table that's it for me. No one seems to know the proper way to load a dishwasher and I have to rearrange everything they've loaded. It makes more work for me and a biggie for me here- I put garbage in my garbage disposer NOT in the trash bin. That's for trash, the disposer is for food. I have a hard time getting that point across.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #49
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
from now on, when i read andy m's post, i'll hear it in my head in grover's voice....
I do too! Of course, I've met him, so it's only natural.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #50
Master Chef
my stepmother hated anyone in the kitchen when she "cooked"----we made her nervous----this meant flinging grease everywhere and using 5 thousand dishes and then we had to clean up afterwards when I had tons of homework (I worked hard to get good grades and didn't have time to be cleaning 2 hours up after her horrible messes) I begged her to let me help while she cooked so that there wasn't such a huge mess to clean up afterwards..........but no, we made her "nervous".......one night after fried chicken, mashed potatos, 3 thousand dishes, grease slung everywhere and I had several tests the next day........I just went ballistic.........I was slamming drawers, cabinets, and the hills came alive with the sound of my "MUSICAL Voice of loud complaints".........she came in there and said I didn't have to do it anymore.....my two sisters could clean up from now on.....fine with me........I took over the cleaning of the bathrooms...and general cleanup on the weekends....my offer not hers......I'm a bit anal......... in huge contrast my mother-in-law on the other hand absolutely appreciated help in the kitchen esp. with dishes as she went along.......she's also the one who taught me to cook........nothing made her happier than to have a grandchild perched on a chair and have them "help" her make a pie or a cake.......nothing made her nervous............

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote