"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

Do You Shop at Whole Foods?

The nearest Whole Foods is 125 miles away from me and I go there about once or twice a month. I went to Whole Foods yesterday. I absolutely love that store but their prices are a bit outrageous (hence the name Whole "paycheck" Foods).

Yesterday I bought crab cakes made with the big lump crab meat. I had them tonight with a Caesar salad and they were wonderful, melted in my mouth. I love their meat, fish and produce sections. I also bought a 2 lb roll of homemade butter - its is heavenly slathered on bread.

They had alot of cute Valentines Day related items, heart shaped cheesecakes and bread, etc.

Its a good thing the store is 125 miles away or I'd be wide as a barn.

Do you shop there? What are your favorite items to buy there?

For me its their bread selection, the meat and fish counter and I love their produce. I always try to buy one new thing and try it every time I go there. Yesterday my new thing to try was their mini crab cakes and they did not dissappoint. I may have to make another trip this Saturday!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
I shopped there a couple times, the first to get a vanilla bean because my local grocer didn't carry them (small town shop) and next to get some fancy cheese for a friend's party. Nice stuff, but definitely expensive.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am wanting to check one out. I have a job offer with them for next year as a corporate chef in there r&d kitchen. All I know about them is what i have seen on the web, sounds cool. I like the emphasis on foods from around the world.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds interesting. Maaatha always speaks of them. Not likely we'll be shopping there. The nearest one for us is about 150 miles away. Probably a "Good Thing" based on what others have said about prices. We'll just continue to be creative and "make do."
Old 02-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Walking into a Whole Foods can bring tears to my eyes. The stores could be featured in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. They are so beautiful and smell wonderful.

The cheeses, the fruits and veggies, seafood displays...I could go on all night.

Since I think I could live on cheese alone, that's my favorite purchase at WF.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Oh how I wish there was one close by. When I go up to MI to visit my brothers, my older brother takes me there and we check out the samples. I've been able to try out things I've never had before. By going there I learnt about different cheeses and olives that I like and dislike.
Its not somewhere I'd do my fully shopping at but I'd def. like one to go find specialty and unique items.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
man, I need to check the one out in NoVA.

yall, got me thinking, and mouth a waterin'(and maybe wallet weeping)
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We had one very close in MD but the one north of Atlanta takes me over an hour to drive.

One bag at WF usually runs me around $80. At Trader Joe's, a bag averages about $25 but they don't have nearly the selection of WF.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Would if I could but we don't have one. There is a Trader's Joe's a hop and a skip from my house. And a Fresh Market is about to be opened. Plus a few miles in the other direction in a wonderful local market that only sells very fresh veggies and fruit and some speciality items. I get my meat at Costco/Sam's. I feel a little embarressed wheeling by basket around Kroger's. The only thing I get there is junk for my DH who eats crap and never gains weight (Ice Cream, cookies, pork rinds etc.), baking supplies, cereal and kitty litter.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Senior Cook

There's one about 10-15 miles from my house. I like it, but as stated, they are a bit pricey. Good stuff none-the-less.