Do you smell fish when purchasing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
In the forum "todays menu and food talk", I mentioned that I purchased halibut for dinner tonight. I never ask to smell the fish, I just trust that it is fresh, but I dont think I would want lots of people smelling fish before I purchase a piece of fish, germs and all that.

So do you smell it first? I wish I had now because once I got my halibut home, it was rotten :mad: I took it back to the store and they gave me double my money back, but I really wanted that fish tonight.

When I was watching Emeril tonight, it was all about fish, and he mentioned how he always smells the fish before purchasing. We dont have fish mongers here, just fish in our grocery stores, and maybe one market dedicated solely to fish.

What do you guys do, smell or not?

ALWAYS smell fish before you buy it. Forget about germs and such.

Fish should NOT smell. If it smells like anything, it should smell fresh, like the sea. The eyes, if there, should be clear and not cloudy. Smelly fish is not something you want to bring home.

If you smell fish, it's bad. :D

I just buy frozen. I'm too far from either coast for the fresh to actually be fresh, and I'll only eat the walleye I caught myself in a clean body of water.

Yes, smell it. Sometimes, you get the fish smell as you approach the fish counter. To quote Emeril, that's when you turn and go for the lamb.

We're really fortunate to live in a part of the UK where there are some very good fish suppliers. In the summer I have walked past a fish counter in the Supermarket and thought 'move faster' that fish really smells:rolleyes: :)

I don't even buy fish from a market that smells overly fishy. I always sniff my fish. It's how you become one with your fish. Know your fish, sniff your fish, cook your fish, love your fish.

I hate asking to smell the fish at the fish counter before I buy. They don't really make it convenient and some people get annoyed by it.

I always buy whole fish anyway so I just go by the looks of it on the outside. The eyes are usually the best indicator in my experience. They have to be clear and bulging, not sunken. Also just knowing the product turnover at certain stores helps. Lent usually means fresh fish! :)

Back
Top Bottom