Do you smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I smoke, but here in Ohio we can no longer smoke inside any public building. There was a huge hoopla about it when this law passed. Most bars felt that they would lose a lot of business. But I think most people find it refreshing to into restaurants and only have it be non-smoking. I don't mind as I never sat in the smoking section anyways.

We have a similar law here and it makes me far happier to take my children into resturants (especially pub resturants. We went to one in August which my in laws had been to before, and they commented how much nicer it was.

Providing a smoker exhibits good manners and we aren't in an enclosed space, they don't bother me. Having said that, I find it annoying when smokers light up just out of habit. Smoke cos you want/need the cigarette, not just cos it is 5pm or you are getting in your car, that sort of thing.

Smokers don't bother you, but, it annoys you that they smoke out of habit. I don't see why this would bother you. Say someone drinks a soda the same time everyday, which I do, would that bother you?.:)

I have smoked all my life.

I don't want to inconvenience anyone, and try to be thoughtful, but I feel persecuted, and believe that my right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness is being violated.
What is this deal about Big Brother deciding what is good for me? OK, I have the information. Now, he needs to mind his own business.

I don't want to bother any of you all...just give me a little place where I can be comfortable.

this is how i feel as well. good for u constance

babe

I understand the feeling there, but at the same time most of this was centered around the industry lying about a product that kills, as well as enhancing their product to make it more addictive. It is also about protecting the general health of the public. I don't want to be responsible for giving someone I don't even know cancer from second hand smoking.

What gets me more are the extra taxes we have to pay on cigarettes. The whole point of suing the tobacco companies was to get money from them to offset rising costs of health care for smokers. If we were the victims of the tobacco companies as their suits (that they won) state, then why are we also paying all this extra money?

In my opinion the extra taxes on cigarettes is unconstitutional, and turns us from the victims as the suits say into the responsible party somehow. Or more accurately, feels more like yet another excuse by our politicians to bilk even more money out of us.

Which is why I buy my cigarettes from the Ukraine and pay no taxes what-so-ever, let someone else pay for their pay raises, private jets and constant vacations to avoid doing their jobs...

I understand the feeling there, but at the same time most of this was centered around the industry lying about a product that kills, as well as enhancing their product to make it more addictive. It is also about protecting the general health of the public. I don't want to be responsible for giving someone I don't even know cancer from second hand smoking.

What gets me more are the extra taxes we have to pay on cigarettes. The whole point of suing the tobacco companies was to get money from them to offset rising costs of health care for smokers. If we were the victims of the tobacco companies as their suits (that they won) state, then why are we also paying all this extra money?

In my opinion the extra taxes on cigarettes is unconstitutional, and turns us from the victims as the suits say into the responsible party somehow. Or more accurately, feels more like yet another excuse by our politicians to bilk even more money out of us.

Which is why I buy my cigarettes from the Ukraine and pay no taxes what-so-ever, let someone else pay for their pay raises, private jets and constant vacations to avoid doing their jobs...

Buddy, You forgot steroid and HGH investigations.
Oh, and illegal taping investigations.

Around here people pool up and drive an hour to the Reservation in NY. No taxes there either. On gasoline for that matter, too.

I ordered them for awhile from Seneca, NY. Then one day I got a 'bill' in the mail from the state demanding I pay taxes on them. It turned out they were required to report my Internet purchases to the appropriate state government.
On the other hand, so far they can't require the Ukraine to report anything, LOL.
If I was close by I would take the trip as well.

Steroids, HGH, illegal taping, pandering to minors, God the list went on and on...

Last edited:
I quit smoking for over a year and then started back in November when Daddy died. He hated smoking, his father died at 49 from it, so he wouldn't be proud of me. I'm now quitting again and it stinks. I am amazed at how many of us do not smoke in our houses and would never smoke in a public place. Yes, I have stood outside in the freezing rain too. You can no longer smoke in a public building in Tennessee and that is perfectly alright with me, even as a smoker I never smoked in restaurants or public buildings.

Gave it up 30 years ago when I was tending bar. Boy, that was a HUMDINGER!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, even 30 years ago I got a lot of support from our patrons when they found out I was quitting.
What the heck, they raised the prices to $1.00 a pack! I had to quit!!
(of course I didn't stop driving when gas went to $1.00 a gallon)..............

Smoking.... as I put out a butt.... I hate it, hate it so bad.. but- It calls to me. I want to quit, I got commit but have not tried it yet.. So very nasty. I collect ski posters, and I have one that is an old ad for smoking by a famous downhill skier. They used to promote that is was good for you !! I never smoke in the house, or in my car, or anywhere I want to smell it.. I hate the smell of smoke.

I don't smoke now (I did have an occasional cigarette in college, 20 years ago). My husband has asthma & is very sensitive to smoke & any other chemicals in the air. We really can't hang out with people who are going to smoke near us or be at a place where there is smoking.

We love that the States we spend time in FL & NY have no smoking laws in restaurants. Except now, I just hate walking through clouds of smoke to get into the restaurant & not being able to sit outside because it is now the smoking section.

We bought a house from a smoker in MX. It is amazing the nicotine stains & stickiness on the walls, curtains, couches, pillows, etc. The air conditioning unit still smells like cigarettes, we've lived in the house three years. After seeing the nicotine & smoke damage to the house, I can only imagine the old owner's lungs...scary. The newly elected Mayor & administration is talking about making all inside restaurants smoke free here....we can hardly wait!

Smokers don't bother you, but, it annoys you that they smoke out of habit. I don't see why this would bother you. Say someone drinks a soda the same time everyday, which I do, would that bother you?.:)
If we had to accommodate your routine, then yes probably. If you just had a soda that was incidental to anybody else, then no. I put the bit about the habit down cos three people who were very close to me had habit cigarettes and those habits imposed on others around them - they would all light up when the got into the car, irrespective of the journey so even if you didn't mind the smoke in the car, you always had a dirty windscreen; my girlfriend would always light up as she was going to be dropped off, so you would have to wait for her to finish her cigarette before you could go home yourself and the boyfriend, well he just chain-smoked out of habit. Habit smoking was my primary exposure to smoke. I can understand someone needing something like a cigarette or wanting one or even liking one to round off dinner say but it really gets annoying when someone's habit is imposed on you.

So I guess, really it is the imposition of the habit on me that I dislike rather than the habit itself if that makes better sense. And if you are wondering whether I impose a habit on somebody else, well probably but I do try to not develop habits, and try to vary routines as well but I'm not perfect.:angel:

I`ve been a smoker about 30 years now, but I won`t go into a food joint where people are allowed to smoke either.

having a "Smoking area" in a food joint is like having a corner in a swimming pool were you`re allowed to Pee!

If we had to accommodate your routine, then yes probably. If you just had a soda that was incidental to anybody else, then no. I put the bit about the habit down cos three people who were very close to me had habit cigarettes and those habits imposed on others around them - they would all light up when the got into the car, irrespective of the journey so even if you didn't mind the smoke in the car, you always had a dirty windscreen; my girlfriend would always light up as she was going to be dropped off, so you would have to wait for her to finish her cigarette before you could go home yourself and the boyfriend, well he just chain-smoked out of habit. Habit smoking was my primary exposure to smoke. I can understand someone needing something like a cigarette or wanting one or even liking one to round off dinner say but it really gets annoying when someone's habit is imposed on you.

So I guess, really it is the imposition of the habit on me that I dislike rather than the habit itself if that makes better sense. And if you are wondering whether I impose a habit on somebody else, well probably but I do try to not develop habits, and try to vary routines as well but I'm not perfect.:angel:

Okay, that I understand. Just wanted to see what it was that bothered you.

I`ve been a smoker about 30 years now, but I won`t go into a food joint where people are allowed to smoke either.

having a "Smoking area" in a food joint is like having a corner in a swimming pool were you`re allowed to Pee!

EWWWWW:sick::LOL: but, that's as close as your going to get. I was always like that too.

Back
Top Bottom