"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dog Whisperer

Recently found this show and noticed it is on everyday. It is so fantastic! This guy Cesaer (spell?) is amazing. Working with the problems of the dogs and wat ching them react and change their personalit y and habits. Grateful that the owners take the time and I am sure money to try to work w/the dogs instead of putting them down. I am BIG dog lover. More so than ever. This is embarrasing but yet at same time admirable that my niece fosters 15 dogs at the present and grooms them all as well. Most of them are old with medical problems. She tells me if she didn't do this she knows where they would be. I have only three as I t hink t hat is limit. Two require daily injections of insulin (going on six years for one and two for other) Going deaf and blind other one has arthritis. I hope you all could t ake time to see the show that is if you like dogs. Think it on National Geographic station cable. Most dogs are good example of how people should be to each other. Forgiving and accepting.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Sorry

Not awake this morning. Posted in wrong area. Not that I was drinking while posting.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Master Chef

ITK, I admire your your niece for her dedication and heart!! Not many people are able to do that. I wish I could, but, dh would hang me from the tree!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Niece

Personally, the family thinks something is missing in her life that she devotes so much time to them. Underlying factor is her only child daughter ran off and she doesn't know where she is. Now she takes care of her granddaughter and her husband plus full time job. I am not going to question her reasons. She is always running to the vet for growths, eye problems, cancer. One good thing is she really doesn't get depressed if one dies because she knows that she did everything she possibly could to save it. Guess our family is just looking for the love they give. Do you have dogs? I remember you had dog die too. Wasn't sure if you got another or not.

Thanks for your comments about my niece. She is very kind person. Her mom was the same way. I think dogs have a place in this world. But that is only my thoughts.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yes, ITK, I have 5 more!! LOL
One is about ready to go too. She a whippet mix that is 14 years old. The rest are 2-9. They are inside/outside. They have a doggie door except at night when they are locked in our rooms with us so that they don't bark.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Seems to me every one on DC has a real common fiber with how much we love animals.Makes me very happy to know this.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

ITK - I love this show, too! Isn't it amazing how these dogs with major problems can get help and get better?

I'm a huge dog lover. We have 2 and I'd have many more...but like tg, hubby says "no, no."

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Strangers

Thank you all for understanding. I will surely let my niece know that you care about what she is doing. She has her house organized w/ their cages and special needs.

I sure find it amazing how people who love animals will meet each other when walking their dog and immediately there is conversation like you have known each other for years. There is no pretense or fear just agreed interest in the life of the dog. I have never experienced rejection from a dog like I have individuals in my life. Some form of healing takes place when you share your life with a dog.

I am happy callie that you get to see the show. He seems to want the people to understand their animals and why they are acting the way they do. It truly is uplifting to me personally.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Head Chef

I am a huge dog lover...have two spoiled rotten dogs myself and am a member on two dog forums.

Anyone who fosters has a special place in my heart..well, almost anyone. Collectors who think they are doing good but are actually doing harm, that's another story.

I love that show. I have seen it a few times myself.

Right now my male dog is suffereing from seasonal allergies and is in misery...he's bleeding from his face, losing hair, non stop scratching. In addition to his allergy meds, yesterday he started steroids and antibiotics. Tomorrow I'm getting fish oil, herb milk thistle and I'm going to try to find local, unpasturized honey as well.

I'd love to have more dogs but ours are same sex aggressive. It is not an option. We did have a litter once, but that was before we knew better. Our dogs are a great match as far as their lines are concerned, but our male ended up being too big for breed standard.

Wow...sorry, can ya tell I love my dogs?!?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Master Chef

As my avatar credo for a dog forum, Dogs teach us how to love unconditionally.... if we could all learn to love like dogs do, we would not have some of the issues we have today. Dogs don't care what you look like, what you wear, where you come from, how mean you might be, all they know is to love you and that simply amazes me about dogs... I just can't love them enough!!!!