"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Dogs

You all know how much I love my dogs! Well, since it is getting hot and I mean really hot they rather stay outside and lay on the cool ground. I wake up regularly just to see if they are still around. This been going on now some time and worried about telling someone that I let them sleep outside. My niece is upset because she tells me I don't know what could happen. She is mad about it. I can't sleep out there with them. Do you think coyotes or something could get them? I have 4 foot fence. They are really in bad shape because of diabetes. One drags his back legs and other one is blind. Other dog sleeps inside and is deaf. They are otherwise happy and eat regularly and show feeling when I feed them or come home. They don't seem in pain otherwise I sure wouldn't allow them to suffer. When I ask the doctor he seems to feel I am asking question not important. With teh other problems guess he figures I should worry? He said to let them do what they want but if I can't sleep? What would you do? Don't answer if you think I am over reacting. It is my decision because no one else wants to make it.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Everymom

If your yard is fenced and they have access to shade and water I am sure they will be fine ITK.

On another note, are your dogs on insulin? Our cat is diabetic and once we got her sugars stable her neuropathy (legs dragging) went away. I'm not familiar with how they treat diabetes in dogs though. Just wondering what you did for your dogs.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks Alix

As always, you are one of them that understands. Thanks. So sorry to hear you have cat w/diabetes. How many times do you have to give her injections? I have to give two of them injections twice a day and always same time. Has been going on long time and first one got it then her sister got it. So they aren't at the same level of insulin. The one that drags her feet got it later and when I asked t he vet about it, he had hopes would go away. Just like yours did. Been almost four five months and it breaks my heart to see her trying to get someplace and having such hard t ime. I am thankful you have seen change in your cat. Does make a world of difference. Also the dog has no control over her potty movements. One loses urine the other well you know what the other is. I know they feel so durn bad about it cause of the way they were trained. They surely can't help it so I just accept it and move on. I think some of the staying outside where they don't have to worry about that is partly the reason they stay out there. The vet tells me I will know when it is time. He said others don't even give their pets a chance and put them down. It is a life and if person has conscience they will make decision that is best for both of them. It doesn't put one in best moods sometimes. If I had child w/this would be much much worse. Real heartache.

Alix, you must be blessed to have your kitten get better. Happy for both of you. I guess I'll let them continue to stay out there. If it makes them happy.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Head Chef

How sad, poor doggies. I thank goodness everyday that my two pooches are **so far** healthy and doing well.

I have no idea where you live, but make SURE you have shelter for all of them. This is not only for their protection, but yours as well. There could easily be laws about adequate shelter.

Food and water..water is a must 24 x 7.

My dogs are inside dogs but love to go outside. We don't allow them outside when we are not home because we live on a busy intersection and even though our yard is fenced in, "where there is a will, there is a way"!

You know your dogs. If they are happy, have good shelter, plenty of food and water, proper care, then they should be fine.

My sister has two outside ONLY black labs. She is allergic to dogs so they don't come inside. I don't understand why they even have dogs when they pay no attention to them.

Isn't amazing how much joy they bring! Good luck to you and I hope their health improves!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Everymom

Hey ITK, don't give up hope on the legs recovering. It took our girl probably around 6 months or longer. She gets a shot twice a day, and we give her special food too. Danged expensive, but clearly worth it as she is doing very very well. She has been diabetic now for about 5 years and is actually better than she was at the beginning. We started at 5 units twice a day and are now down to 2 units twice a day and it may need to be lower than that! Cats are the only animal that can recover from being diabetic isn't that cool? Apparently if they have the type of diabetes where they have just stopped absorbing the insulin they can suddenly begin to do that again. (I hope I have that right!)

How old are your dogs? How long have they been diabetic? I know how much you love them, so just let them be where they want to be. You can make it a nice safe place for them and they will be happy.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Thinking back to my childhood when I had a dog, in the summer he loved to be outside. He usually found a nice area of shade and dug a hole to curl up in, fairly close to food and water. If he was inside, it was always on the hard wood floor, or linolium (sp?) if the hard wood was unaccessible for some reason.

Rest in peace, Jake. You were a good dog.

(it's sbeen some time, but I still think about him from time to time and reminise {sp?}).
Old 06-15-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

i wanted to have a pet dog but my brother has an asthma before that's why we arfe not allowed to have one...
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
Head Chef

I just want you to know that I understand how you love your dogs. My mother has only one dog left, but she used to breed Irish Wolfhounds. Her old girl also has dodgy back legs due to a spinal condition, and broke a front leg in a rabbit hole last year, but she is still full of life and so loved. My mother's pets were always considered my siblings. I have two cats who are my babies, and we want to get a dog when we live somewhere suitable. I also have two old ponies who are on loan to some children but who I won't sell because they are difficult and I want to make sure they always live with people who are patient with them, and I have my old mare who won a lot with me and taught me a lot, I cannot take care of her now, so she too is on loan to a great family where she gets lightly worked and heavily loved.

I can't imagine a life without my "fur babies". My cats have just gone on their holiday to my mother's house in the country. They aren't allowed out here in the City so I let them go wild for a bit in the countryside.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
Head Chef

I agree, as long as you have them fenced in they should be fine and if they are more happy outside then so be it. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and going out side here is shift work. One dog is huge the other very small. I'm afraid the big dog will hurt the sm one as he is only 1 year old and very playful. One wrong move could break the others back or leg. The large dog is always out in his Kennel but I let him out several times aday to run around. Then I lock him up and let the sm one out to run. I have to watch for eagles here too because one could take the sm dog.Then both dogs done running, cats turn and this goes on several times aday. Sounds like you take great care of your pets. Your making them happy for sure. Also not sure where you live but just make sure they are safe in their fenced area at night.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Joy

These comments bring me such joy, you can't believe it. To read all the love that is expresssed here tells me what truly great people you are. When you can show love to something that is considered less important than a human being to me it tells me you can trust that person. Showing love like this to dogs or cats (almost same) is like receiving lottery. Worth more to me than million dollars. Guess I could take care of plenty animals for that amount but would they get the attention you give them? AT this time people are so self centered or seem to be that we need to focus on life t hat is dependent. I can't really comment about ponies but they must have their place as the therapy they are doing w/blind children. It just seems animals have silent communication w/people. As Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer says) they can 'feel' your energy. I would trust him too.

Alix, my one dog has diabetes for more than six years. Up to 34 units each time. Other one drags legs, has for two years. They are sisters. She gets 19 units day. I even asked the vet if I could reuse the needles. NO! I go through insulin and needles so fast . As you stated expensive too. It is good thing we are all fairly healthy. (KNOCK ON WOOD) You give me encouragement knowing how your cat is doing. You have your commitment too if you give the shots. I never ever thought I could do this. Never. I still don't like it. Do what you got to do.

Once you have the love of an animal, I don't know how someone could ever neglect it or abuse it. I only hope and pray that if they do mistreat them it will come back to them and quick.

They are all inside now waiting to get their attention. Probably know I am writing about them. Must be the heat that I think this way.