"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
now, it costs me $10 a day on the bus, and my legs and middle finger are getting a workout skating from the bus terminal to my building and back.
LOL! I had to reread that "Why would his middle finger be getting a workout on rollerblades?"

I would love to start shopping at Costco but the space we have just doesn't allow it. I'm sure in the next year when we move back to Ontario and get a less expensive and bigger apartment things will get better :) Things are just a little down right now but the future is bright.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
That was harsh BT the polygamist bunch is actually a break off from the original Mormons. .
that is completely untrue! the original mormons, i.e. joe smith, had multiple wives. i've read he had 33!

but as far as harshness goes, it was a joke.

here's a little history: This Day in History 1890: The Mormon Church officially renounces polygamy

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #73
Chief Eating Officer

OK folks this is getting into religion and as you all know we do not allow that. Lets please bring this back around to the topic at hand. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #74
Executive Chef

We drink at home...........

Seriously, being a chef has it's advantages. I feel like I'm in a restaurant every day of the week, so I appreciate cooking at home on Saturday and Sunday. Plus, being the perfectionist every now and then, we enjoy a 3-5 course meal at home for a fraction of the cost of dining out.

What you have to do, if possible, is make the whole idea of economizing attractive. I keep myself on a weekly budget at home. If I don't go over the budget, and in fact, can save something, I squirrel it away. Then, when I want to spend a weekend down the shore, I've got the money. If I want a new pair of shoes just to cheer me up, I can do it.

If you have to stay in on Saturday night because it's not in the budget to go out, make staying in fun. Assuming there are no kids involved, get dressed up anyway. Set the table with your good stuff. Light candles. Have cocktails in the parlour. Lounge in bed on Sunday morning watching old movies on the TCM station. Have pastries and coffee in bed.

If you have kids, make a picnic in the living room. Make forts like we used to do with blanket tied to chairs and eat in 'the fort'. Play board games like we used to. Make home made waffles and ice cream.

Whatever you do to cut back, you have to try to keep something aside for a treat. It's like dieting....if you deny yourself all the time, you'll be miserable.

Let me say again, you'll all save lots of money if you stop buying prepackaged or single serving snacks, drinks, etc. Buy the regular size, (not huge bulk sizes, either, they usually get stale before you can finish them) and make your own snack size packages with baggies, paper bags, thermoses, tupperwares, etc. Get a filter for your sink and ditch all that bottled water. Turn the water off when you brush your teeth. Get reacquainted with your glass plates and forget paper cups.

We've been spending our weekends at home for so long now that it doesn't seem like economizing. It's a better deal, the food is better and the drinks are never ever a short pour
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #75
Assistant Cook

Regarding the discussion on generic vs brand name products.. Years ago when our kids were living at home I would get in big discussion with them on the taste of brand name vs generic. They maintained that the brand names tasted better. While I did agree that this was the case for SOME products, I disagreed that all brand names were better. So I started a practice of purchasing generic products and putting it into the containers of the brand name products - cereals, soft drinks, peanut butter, etc. (a rather long list). VERY SELDOM did any of my kids question the flavor of the "brand name" substitute. Meaning, they thought it to be the brand name product. In fact, I think I only was put to task on one occasion. My point to them and my experiment showed that it was mostly "in their mind". (Hey, isn't this why compaines advertise???)

I have since heard of scientific studies on this very subject. Blind studies are conducted with subjects who were found to more likely to show a preference for a "brand name" product, even thought an alternative product had been subsituted. Don't recall all of the details but there was actually something that was measured in the brain (chemical, electronic response, other?) during the testing. I recall forwarding this to my now married kids, not that it matters because they too use generic labels where there is no difference in taste..
Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #76
Chief Eating Officer

It is amazing how the mind can affect you like that isn't it Grandad? It sounds like your kids learned a valuable lesson from that.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #77
Executive Chef

You can save a lot on cleaning products as well there a some that do multiple task. Alot of things can be cleaned with plain white vinegar. So many cleaning products for so many different things. I remember we didn't have that many when I was a kid. A can of Ajax used to take care of many things like kitchen and bath sinks,bath tub/shower etc including the toilet now they have a seperate cleaner for all these things. Some multple cleaners are Simple Green, Bar Keepers friend, all in one kitchen sprays and so on.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav'sWife View Post
On the food front, to cope, we both cut our eating so (the idea hopefully) is that we're buying less groceries and thus spending less.
This is one of the best ideas, in my opinion, but I rarely see it put forth as a viable option. It works!! I have tried it over the years as I see our metabolism slowing down. Simply eat less food, prepare less food, buy less food. It is a win/win situation. You spend less on food and lose weight too. Of course, this does not apply to children, and pregnant and nursing mothers, but I suspect most of us here do not fall into those catagories.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
You can save a lot on cleaning products as well there a some that do multiple task. Alot of things can be cleaned with plain white vinegar. So many cleaning products for so many different things. I remember we didn't have that many when I was a kid. A can of Ajax used to take care of many things like kitchen and bath sinks,bath tub/shower etc including the toilet now they have a seperate cleaner for all these things. Some multple cleaners are Simple Green, Bar Keepers friend, all in one kitchen sprays and so on.
The only cleaning products in our house are liquid and powdered Spic and Span and Glass Plus. That's all I use...for everything.

I use the powdered Spic and Span like an abrasive. I also buy the concentrate for Glass Plus, so I don't have to store a large container and don't have to throw a plastic bottle away. It's considerably less expensive than buying the stuff already made up in the spray bottle.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #80
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Well my grocery spending hasn't really changed, hubby and I have always been on tight budget, 18 years ago when we first married and had our children I spent about 100$ a month on groceries. Now I spend about 150$ a month, by the end of the month its slim pickens in the pantry,but I figure if anyone is hungry enough they will eat whats there.
As for driving, hubby and I argue all the time about this. I go to all my DD athletic games, I am car pooling to the away games, but still going. Hubby says its too much extra gas money. I look at it this way. We each have X amount of $ for the week, if I use my money for gas to go to the games and dont buy the extra stuff like he does(goes out for lunch, buys cigars) what does it matter. My DD is only going to be around 2 more years and I'm going to be as involved with her as I can be. So instead of going thru a drive thru while shopping or buying all the extra junk food or that cute little blouse I saw, I put my money in the gas tank to watch me DD.
I am really intrested in knowing how you feed one person, let alone 3 for $150.oo a month..........................................:oh my: