"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ever been the ONLY one online at DC?

since learning from bt about 'lurking' on the dc website, i have developed the habit of occasionally checking to see who is online. i do this mostly in the wee morning hours when not much of anyone is around. it is also a time when the fact of our multiple time zones becomes more clearly evident.

but despite our differing time zones, there comes a time, roughly between 3:00 and 4:30am, (eastern time) that the site becomes virtually abandoned.

my goal has been to be the ONLY one online at dc one of these days. i have come close a few times, roaming the site with only a few other dcers present. one time last month, there were only two of us onsite. you won't believe how exciting that actually felt for a brief moment. it is akin to the feeling one gets when he is awake at night, while (it seems) that the whole rest of the world is sleeping, so as to be virtually non-existent. oddly enough, a supreme rush!

anyhoo, do any of you aspire to be 'king of the mountain' at dc for a minute? has anyone done it? contemplated doing it? quick, before tomorrow's dinner post arrives on set....

Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I generally open several tabs and go back and forth between them throughout the day. For instance, I usually have my email open, as well as Facebook, Twitter, Discuss Cooking, and others as I need them. I am a night owl, so you will probably see me on during some weird hours. Even though I have DC open, I pop in now and then. I'm not here all the hours it looks like I am.

I have been the only one here, but only once or twice in the 11 or so years I have been on DC.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Master Chef

Not for me thanks.

I come to DC for the interaction, the food ain't bad either!

I do understand the feeling though.

I used to get a similar feeling driving through the sleeping city on my way to work or listening to Tender Is the Night by Jackson Browne!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been on when only a couple other members were logged in, but I've never been the only one here (that I've noticed). And don't forget there are those who walk among us that like to be invisible...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I have been on here once when no-one else was online...but that is easy since being in a different time zone
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess we all have our goals in life...

That never occurred to me. I never wake up in the middle of the night and think to do anything other than go back to sleep!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess we all have our goals in life...

That never occurred to me. I never wake up in the middle of the night and think to do anything other than go back to sleep!
No? You must be older than I thought you were

Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've been on when only a couple other members were logged in, but I've never been the only one here (that I've noticed). And don't forget there are those who walk among us that like to be invisible...

oh s__t, pac, i hadn't thought of those invisible ones!! well, that certainly alters the landscape, doesn't it? one can't exactly glory in being alone in the night with the knowledge of the ever-present contradicting floaters about.
thanks a lot, pac....
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've been on a couple of times when it's just me and 10 guests.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No? You must be older than I thought you were

That all depends on how old you thought I was...

Getting up in the middle of he night and doing stuff has never been something I got into. I may have done it 3-5 times in my life (not necessarily in recent years).