Exercise, Workouts, Fitness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be the first to admit that I probably don't exercise as much as I should, but I have a real hard time with treadmills and the like. Try as I might, I get antsy after I'm on one for 10 minutes and just feel like the enjoyment factor is non-existent.

Having said that, I do like being outdoors, and spend a lot of evenings working around the house and yard. I also like swimming, walking, or biking when I can. I realize that doesn't constitute an organized fitness regimen, but I figure doing something is far better than sitting around watching television.

One thing I would also like to do is work some weight training into my life. I used to enjoy that when I was younger.

I, too, hate the machines. I've tried music, TV, anything to make it less boring, to no avail. I gave up my gym membership because I just cannot motivate myself to use the machines enough to make it worthwhile (for a fee you can take exercise classes there w/o membership).

I need to get a bathing suit first. The thirty dollars is the fee for joining the public gym. Not just the pool. And they have an EMT/lifeguard on duty everyday. :angel:
I thought I was the only one who didn't own a suit! I didn't buy the classes until I ordered a few and found one that fit well. Luckily this is a good time of year to buy them. Took the first class today. I'd taken them before, but just one here and one there. For years I had my own pool, and worked out in it by myself. Anyway, this is going to be perfect for my needs for the next couple of months (I'm hoping to get back to Zumba eventually). It really felt good, and my leg was much less achy after the class (I'd over-done both exercise and housework yesterday, so was feeling it this morning).

$30 for the pool? And that includes an exercise class? I'm paying $64 for 10 classes, so yes, you have a bargain. You just let the people who work there know your physical problems. If it is something they cannot handle, believe me, they'll discourage you. Businesses, especially pools, are very lawsuit-conscious and won't want you there if they can't get you out and to an appropriate place, fast.

Tonight instead of the gym, we are going to the art park, where there are miles of trails. We are taking a picnic supper and enjoying the cooler (for us) weather.

It's amazing how much better the pool makes me feel, it's a time of solitude & peace. It's hard to believe it's exercise just water walking.

A friend of mine lives in a building with a pool...I keep trying to get over there to swim, but our schedules just don't align. I love to swim, but living in the country, it means driving someplace. I believe in doing things that one likes--I grew up swimming, love to be in the water. I would love an indoor swim lane <g>. I also did a lot of xc skiing, so a Nordic track made sense to me. It just hasn't made it back in the house. We also snow shoe a lot in the winter. And, I used to lift weights, so having the handweights handy when watching TV, I do pick them up and use them, as well as the band, while watching TV.

I need a vacation. I read the above bold as "Drowning someplace." :angel:

Tonight instead of the gym, we are going to the art park, where there are miles of trails. We are taking a picnic supper and enjoying the cooler (for us) weather.

We have a place called "Belle Isle Marsh." It is one of the last salt water marshes in the country and considered an endangered ecosystem. There are trails all over the place and people take their dogs their and let them run free. It has become puppy land playground. Unfortunately, a lot of dog owners were not cleaning up after their animals. So they banned dogs. The dog owners got the message and when they did sneak their dogs in, they were cleaning up after them. As a result, they removed the ban and placed biodegradable bags along the trails with a trash can.

There are all sorts of wild life in there. Swans, fish, fish eating birds, etc. Right now we are having a major problem with Eastern Equine Encephalitis and West Nile. So no night walks for the folks or their pets. It is closed from dusk to dawn. This place is Nature at its best.:angel:

Last edited:
Let me start out by saying that I am a former certified personal trainer, certified sports nutritionist and certified senior fitness instructor. I am also a lifetime member of 24 Hour Fitness, which I first joined in 2004. My initial 3 years was at the regular price, but since 2007 I have been required to pay $49.00 a year, for the rest of my life. Unfortunately they no longer offer this program.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I have a resistance machine circuit that I follow. It takes from 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how many others are using the same machines, and it works all the major muscle groups, head to toe.

On Monday I follow this up with 30 to 60 minutes of cardio on the eliptical trainer, LifeCycle, and/or treadmill, but on Tuesday through Friday I participate in a senior fitness class that consists of a rigorous 30 minute spin class, followed by 30 minutes of light weights and stretch bands on Tuesdays and Thursdays and stretching exercises on Wednesdays and Fridays.

I am trying to stay in good health, but my ultimate goal is to live long enough to become a burden upon my children.

Last edited:
Steve and I go for a walk every night for about 30 minutes and I also get on the exercise bike daily :)

I am so pleased with myself. I managed to walk home from Main Street Friday evening. I cannot believe I did it! (anyone interested, look up Galena Illinois on any site, and i'm up over that hill!). I'm convinced that my work outs before and my real attempts to get back at it as soon as possible are helping. I'm still frustrated, but am very satisfied with my Pilates and water exercises.

Claire said:
I am so pleased with myself. I managed to walk home from Main Street Friday evening. I cannot believe I did it! (anyone interested, look up Galena Illinois on any site, and i'm up over that hill!). I'm convinced that my work outs before and my real attempts to get back at it as soon as possible are helping. I'm still frustrated, but am very satisfied with my Pilates and water exercises.

Yay!! You go, Girl!!

Congrats, Claire!

It is a beautiful time of the year for walking also. The leaves are starting to change color. Don't get frustrated, get engerized. You go girl! :angel:

Good on you Claire, well done :)

I am a powerlifter and train with a team. We do bench press for about 4 1/2 hours on Mon and Deadlifts or Squats on Wed. which take about 3 hours. We all do other stuff without the team on other days. I have been doing about 2 years now and my bench went from 200 to 375lbs and my deadlift went from 286 to 520lbs. (I don't squat anymore) This has been great for my Diabetes and has strengthened my bones alot. I got hit across the legs with a solid steel bar 2 months ago and it should have broke both my legs but didn't. I had hematomas for almost 2 months I got hit so hard. I also don't have the back problems I used to have.

I am making a committment to exercise everyday for the next 3 months. Had a physical last week & the doc. has given me 3 months to get my weight down & my numbers in a safe range or I will have to go on a whole slew of medications which I am not willing to do.

I am making a committment to exercise everyday for the next 3 months. Had a physical last week & the doc. has given me 3 months to get my weight down & my numbers in a safe range or I will have to go on a whole slew of medications which I am not willing to do.

No more donuts for breakfast! You will be surprised how much your numbers change with just that difference. If you need help revamping your diet just holler. :)

No more donuts for breakfast! You will be surprised how much your numbers change with just that difference. If you need help revamping your diet just holler. :)
I am open to any helpful tips you can share with me to revamp my diet :) thank you!

I am open to any helpful tips you can share with me to revamp my diet :) thank you!

You can ask any questions, I don't want to sound like a know it all by telling you things you may already know. But, I have noticed you eat a lot of donuts and sugary cereals. And since you don't care for oatmeal, how about Cheerios and raisin bran?

Breakfast & lunch are always a challenge for me to eat healthy. I am up & out by 5:30 am. We have a small cafe/catering business so lunch is always busy. Greek yogurt & a granola bar have been working nicely around 8 am. I am always looking for quick, healthy foods to eat on the go. I would be so very happy & appreciative to hear any options you would like to share.

That is great SB...good luck with it all :)

You will feel so much better in the long run :)

Back
Top Bottom