"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Executive Chef

A 4 Table Restaurant - Love it already !

Addie,

I truly enjoy these small hidden venues that are located in a not too popular thorough fare, and have 4 to 12 tables and are just wonderful with fresh food ... They have a waiter or waitress tell u the carte of the day´s catch or items, and that is that. Many of these are located in Italia and Spain, Greece and France too ... Some are located behind a book shop, a bar tavern, furniture or antique shop or butcher or fish monger´s ... Always wonderful. Never had a bad experience ...

Your little gem of a venue sounds marvelous.

Thanks for posting and have nice Sunday.
Margi

Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #32
Head Chef

The Italian neighborhood in St. Louis called "The Hill" is home to several very good Italian restaurants. I swooned over a couple of meals there; sorry, but it's been too long ago and I can't recall specific names.

Here on the Florida Gulf coast, the Italian chains which abound are nothing to brag about. One Italian family runs a small place called, "Two Meatballs in the Kitchen," (their two sons). I usually order whatever their special of the day is and have yet to be disappointed.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #33
Executive Chef

The wrath of a journalist !

Addie,

The manager and the owner would of heard the wrath of a journalist about those clams and shell pieces ! I certainly would never stand for this type of treatment ... You should pack a Digital Camera in your pocket book and take a photo next time and complain ! Afterall, this is horrid food service treatment ...

Margi.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Heard about great Italian restaurants in St. Louis

I have a colleague who had travelled last summer to St. Louis and she loved the Gardens and the Italian restaurants ... Have never been ... Shall make note for future USA trip.

Thanks for post and sharing views.
Margi.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Son #3 took me to a very famous restaurant out near where he was living. I ordered shrimp scampi. When I got it, I could taste the alcohol. They didn't even give it a chance to cook off. I don't drink and I know alcohol when I taste it. It was horrible. They had to have used that cooking wine you get in the supermarket. Then the shrimp were tossed on top and were real tiny. The kind you get in the small can at your supermarket. I couldn't even get my fork into them. They were so tough. I didn't want my son to feel bad so I just played with the food. When the waitress came to clear the plates, she noticed my food hadn't been eaten at all. She asked what was wrong and I told her. I even demonstrated that I couldn't get my fork into the tiny shrimp. She took the dish to the manager and then to the kitchen. Every worker came out of the kitchen and was staring at our table. We got the whole dinner for the table for free. She got a good tip. Half of what the bill would have been.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Vieste, Italia

I had forgotten to post this memorable 10th century Slovenian Italian town which is famous for its walled streets and phenomenal seaviews ... Peschici is famous for its stunner fish restaurant called:
La Grotta delle Rondini which means The Cave of Swallows. The venue is carved out of limestone cliffs and the building houses port holes instead of windows. The wood burning oven, well ... if you are ever in Vieste, rent a car and go ...

Chef owner is: Antonio Mastromatteo.

Posted by:
Margi.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
Master Chef

Funny that you mention a Slovenian-Italian place. Or is it Italian-Slovenian. I went to Slovenia about 20 years ago, and we had some of the best pizza in Ljubljana and Dolenska Tolplice and some great Italian shellfood in Koper. I doubt either place even exists any more. But all of our food during that trip was wonderful. Oh, great risotta at a hotel restaurant, the swan (translation, I don't remember the name). honestly, it was right after the Iron Curtain fell, and all the food was great and really cheap, the concept of capitalism hadn't quite caught on.

In the DC area I used to love a couple of places I loved for Italian food, but have no idea if they still exist. One was called The Alpine and the other Michaelangelo's, both I think in Arlington. I'll have to google and see if they're still around.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Claire: Wow ! Slovenia & Puglia, Italia

Interesting and thanx for posting about your trip.

I am uncertain too if this seafood surf ship wreck restaurant in the cave of a limestone building is still there however, it is 20 km from Vieste.

When I have a chance over wkend, I shall do some research in Italian and check out ... I shall keep u posted ...

By the way, Slovenian red wines are absolutely lovely ... gorgeous aged wines and hardly known.

Thanks again for lovely post.
Margi.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Claire,

Peschici is located on the Adriatic on the Gargano Peninsula ( www.peschici.it ), just north of Bari, very close to the airport, port, ferries to Corfu ... The Swallow´s Cave is still there ... of course, probably with another generation of cooks ... or Chefs .. we shall check out during Easter Week. This is a lovely area, and the Island of Tremiti is stunning ...

Kind regards. Margi.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Interesting and thanx for posting about your trip.

I am uncertain too if this seafood surf ship wreck restaurant in the cave of a limestone building is still there however, it is 20 km from Vieste.

When I have a chance over wkend, I shall do some research in Italian and check out ... I shall keep u posted ...

By the way, Slovenian red wines are absolutely lovely ... gorgeous aged wines and hardly known.

Thanks again for lovely post.
Margi.
I absolutely agree about Slovene wines. My favorite (it was a warm month) was cvicek (please be tolerant of my spelling -- pronounced svee-check to my ear). I also liked the cherno vino (again, it meant "black" because it was a very dark red) but the temperature outside was better for the pink wine. It seems like all pink wines sold in the U.S. are all too sweet for my taste, for me the cvicek was just perfect for sitting at sidewalk cafes or picnic on a sunny day and was usually chilled. We met a young man who's probably a relative of my husband's, and he gave us a bottle of the dark red to take home (made by someone in his family).

Tags
italian