"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I think you've got the right idea, Skillit. If that's the case, it could actually end up being a lot better for our environment. Cattle take an enormous amount of land to raise, and if one cow could deliver a whole herd of steers instead of just one, it would save considerable pasture land.

As long as we don't start eating Soylent Green.
__________________

__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I think you've got the right idea, Skillit. If that's the case, it could actually end up being a lot better for our environment. Cattle take an enormous amount of land to raise, and if one cow could deliver a whole herd of steers instead of just one, it would save considerable pasture land.

As long as we don't start eating Soylent Green.
If I understand it correctly, it would take a Bull to produce a herd of cloned calves which could be turned into steers. Unfortunately for the bull, the process would not be nearly as enjoyable.
__________________

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Come to think of it; no reason why a steer couldn't be used to clone a herd.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
amber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Maine
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I think you've got the right idea, Skillit. If that's the case, it could actually end up being a lot better for our environment. Cattle take an enormous amount of land to raise, and if one cow could deliver a whole herd of steers instead of just one, it would save considerable pasture land.

As long as we don't start eating Soylent Green.
Assuming one cow produces many, wouldnt that take up more pasture?

On to the question at hand, I dont see any difference between cloned cows, but for some reason I wouldnt want to buy one just yet, not sure why though.
__________________
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Assuming one cow produces many, wouldnt that take up more pasture?
No, because you wouldn't be pasturing the mother cows. Remember that this is not yet possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
On to the question at hand, I don't see any difference between cloned cows, but for some reason I wouldnt want to buy one just yet, not sure why though.
Nor am I. Fortunately, it is not yet an option.

Where are our agricultural experts to enlighten this conversation. Sparrowgrass, we need you.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,378
If you can select animals that are extra prolific milk producers or yield prime beef rather than choice or select, you could clone them and produce offspring( if that's the right term) that all produce a higher quality product and more of it for the same money.

You don't need a steer. You simply take any cell from the animal to be cloned and process it from there.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You don't need a steer. You simply take any cell from the animal to be cloned and process it from there.
Of course you are right Andy. If I intimated that the process involved the sacrifice of the cell donor, I apologize for the confusion.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Illinois/USA
Posts: 1,343
I just wish they would clone another cashier!
Oops, they did; it's called "self check". lol

more food for more people...Supply and demand.
__________________
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
boufa06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Volos, Greece
Posts: 3,467
Reading the linked article and the subsequent posts, two names stand out above all the din, ViaGen and Cyagra. For now they are my heroes. True benefactors of mankind! At significant cost to them, they work tirelessly to produce more and better meat for us let alone the extra milk! What a fine example of corporate altruism (an oxymoron perhaps?)! As for any health concerns, 678 pages of FDA outpouring (based on data contributed so unselfishly by our hero companies) should be enough to silence (or at least confuse) even the most vociferous of the unbelievers. Although I am not keeping track of such statistics, I am nonetheless certain that the pages of the document essentially approving cloned meat for human consumption far exceed in number as well as in weight those of the document approving the use of thalidomide (another unselfish gift to mankind) a little while back. There only remains one final step, i.e., to ram the use of cloned meat down the throat of the rest of the world so that they can all benefit accordingly. It is heart-warming to see that the FDA is cognizant of such need by declaring themselves against the use of labels that reveal the cloned or clone-free origin of marketed meat. With 2007 just around the corner, I wonder why it feels a bit like 1984.
__________________
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Reading the linked article and the subsequent posts, two names stand out above all the din, ViaGen and Cyagra. For now they are my heroes. True benefactors of mankind! At significant cost to them, they work tirelessly to produce more and better meat for us let alone the extra milk! What a fine example of corporate altruism (an oxymoron perhaps?)! As for any health concerns, 678 pages of FDA outpouring (based on data contributed so unselfishly by our hero companies) should be enough to silence (or at least confuse) even the most vociferous of the unbelievers. Although I am not keeping track of such statistics, I am nonetheless certain that the pages of the document essentially approving cloned meat for human consumption far exceed in number as well as in weight those of the document approving the use of thalidomide (another unselfish gift to mankind) a little while back. There only remains one final step, i.e., to ram the use of cloned meat down the throat of the rest of the world so that they can all benefit accordingly. It is heart-warming to see that the FDA is cognizant of such need by declaring themselves against the use of labels that reveal the cloned or clone-free origin of marketed meat. With 2007 just around the corner, I wonder why it feels a bit like 1984.
As the self appointed spokesman of the dumbest among us; Say what?
__________________

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.