"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

I think you've got the right idea, Skillit. If that's the case, it could actually end up being a lot better for our environment. Cattle take an enormous amount of land to raise, and if one cow could deliver a whole herd of steers instead of just one, it would save considerable pasture land.

As long as we don't start eating Soylent Green.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I think you've got the right idea, Skillit. If that's the case, it could actually end up being a lot better for our environment. Cattle take an enormous amount of land to raise, and if one cow could deliver a whole herd of steers instead of just one, it would save considerable pasture land.

If I understand it correctly, it would take a Bull to produce a herd of cloned calves which could be turned into steers. Unfortunately for the bull, the process would not be nearly as enjoyable.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
Head Chef

Come to think of it; no reason why a steer couldn't be used to clone a herd.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance

Assuming one cow produces many, wouldnt that take up more pasture?

On to the question at hand, I dont see any difference between cloned cows, but for some reason I wouldnt want to buy one just yet, not sure why though.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Assuming one cow produces many, wouldnt that take up more pasture?
No, because you wouldn't be pasturing the mother cows. Remember that this is not yet possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
On to the question at hand, I don't see any difference between cloned cows, but for some reason I wouldnt want to buy one just yet, not sure why though.
Nor am I. Fortunately, it is not yet an option.

Where are our agricultural experts to enlighten this conversation. Sparrowgrass, we need you.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

If you can select animals that are extra prolific milk producers or yield prime beef rather than choice or select, you could clone them and produce offspring( if that's the right term) that all produce a higher quality product and more of it for the same money.

You don't need a steer. You simply take any cell from the animal to be cloned and process it from there.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You don't need a steer. You simply take any cell from the animal to be cloned and process it from there.
Of course you are right Andy. If I intimated that the process involved the sacrifice of the cell donor, I apologize for the confusion.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

I just wish they would clone another cashier!
Oops, they did; it's called "self check". lol

more food for more people...Supply and demand.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Reading the linked article and the subsequent posts, two names stand out above all the din, ViaGen and Cyagra. For now they are my heroes. True benefactors of mankind! At significant cost to them, they work tirelessly to produce more and better meat for us let alone the extra milk! What a fine example of corporate altruism (an oxymoron perhaps?)! As for any health concerns, 678 pages of FDA outpouring (based on data contributed so unselfishly by our hero companies) should be enough to silence (or at least confuse) even the most vociferous of the unbelievers. Although I am not keeping track of such statistics, I am nonetheless certain that the pages of the document essentially approving cloned meat for human consumption far exceed in number as well as in weight those of the document approving the use of thalidomide (another unselfish gift to mankind) a little while back. There only remains one final step, i.e., to ram the use of cloned meat down the throat of the rest of the world so that they can all benefit accordingly. It is heart-warming to see that the FDA is cognizant of such need by declaring themselves against the use of labels that reveal the cloned or clone-free origin of marketed meat. With 2007 just around the corner, I wonder why it feels a bit like 1984.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Reading the linked article and the subsequent posts, two names stand out above all the din, ViaGen and Cyagra. For now they are my heroes. True benefactors of mankind! At significant cost to them, they work tirelessly to produce more and better meat for us let alone the extra milk! What a fine example of corporate altruism (an oxymoron perhaps?)! As for any health concerns, 678 pages of FDA outpouring (based on data contributed so unselfishly by our hero companies) should be enough to silence (or at least confuse) even the most vociferous of the unbelievers. Although I am not keeping track of such statistics, I am nonetheless certain that the pages of the document essentially approving cloned meat for human consumption far exceed in number as well as in weight those of the document approving the use of thalidomide (another unselfish gift to mankind) a little while back. There only remains one final step, i.e., to ram the use of cloned meat down the throat of the rest of the world so that they can all benefit accordingly. It is heart-warming to see that the FDA is cognizant of such need by declaring themselves against the use of labels that reveal the cloned or clone-free origin of marketed meat. With 2007 just around the corner, I wonder why it feels a bit like 1984.
As the self appointed spokesman of the dumbest among us; Say what?