"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Wow!! I have learned so much on this thread!! I have changed my mind as far as eating cloned animals go. I guess I never fully understood how cloning worked. As far as labeling it goes...I don't know. I don't see it necessary if the meat has all the same "ingredients" and tastes the same. Though some would prefer it...I don't know. Like may people have said, this is not going to happen soon. Great thread topic Kleenex!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I can very easily imagine how the NAIS combined with the patented animals that boufa and cara are talking about could, in bethzaring's words "end backyard, small scale farming as we know it in the USA."
skilletlicker, well you hit it on the nail!!! This is the heart of the matter and not benefitting the masses with better meat at cheaper prices.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
but I'll take science any day over superstition, fear, and paranoia -- its main enemies.
Me too! But one should be aware of its limitations too.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #44
Master Chef

The money driven aspect of our world's societies certainly scares me. The financial "requirements" of business has for the most part been geered toward ever-increasing profits, no matter what the cost to society or even the well being humanity. The idea that more is better is IMHO a major fault in the collective thinking process. It has fueld wars and skirmishes as much as any other single though process. It has ruined ecologies, and has created untold misery. I agree with those who are frightened by the prospect of those who would seek to make profit from cloning at the expense of everyone else.

But I am not afraid of the science behind it. A simple staff, made from hardwood can be a benign object, to help aid someone in walking. It can also be a deadly weapon in the hands of one trained to use it as such. But the staff itself, it is simply a piece of wood. It is the user that gives it its purpose.

It is the choices made by people that make anything good or bad. And sadly, there are enough people with bad intentions to cause any possible thing imaginable to be used to satisfy selfish desire.

Is cloning a bad thing? What has to be decided is not whether the science si good or bad, but rather, can the application of the science be intelligently used for the good of all, rather than the selfish needs of the few.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #45
Master Chef

goodweed, you don't really think of the good warmhearted Monsanto-company, who wants patents on pigs, cows and even humans just for the good of all?

but I agree.. cloning as such could be a good thing... but not with money behind
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Bethzaring's comment on the National Animal Identification System also gave me something to worry about that I'd never heard of. I can very easily imagine how the NAIS combined with the patented animals that boufa and cara are talking about could, in bethzaring's words "end backyard, small scale farming as we know it in the USA."

I had a feeling that the majority of the members of this forum may not be aware of the NAIS issue. I applaud you skilletlicker for looking into this potential drama. IMO this NAIS issue is much more of an immediate serious threat to our choice of foods to purchase to eat.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I had a feeling that the majority of the members of this forum may not be aware of the NAIS issue. I applaud you skilletlicker for looking into this potential drama. IMO this NAIS issue is much more of an immediate serious threat to our choice of foods to purchase to eat.
I'll likely never own a cow but would sure like to think that I have a right to without jumping through a lot of bureaucratic hoops.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:41 AM   #48
Master Chef

skilletlicker, no, you don't have.
We have a system like this in the european union for years now.
every cow and every pig must be registered within a week.
I could tell you loits about this, but I must admit, I don't have the time and the motivation.
But believe me, nothing is perfect, there are still people who find a way to cheat.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #49
Executive Chef

cara, I am afraid you are correct on this. And I know what you mean about not having the time and energy to discuss this. Presently people in the USA do have the luxury to own and care for animals pretty much as we please. Especially in the country, cities have for a long time enforced zoning laws that keep most livestock out of cities.

I am afraid of the scenerio of having a mad cow or bird flu scare and the USDA making the NAIS mandatory. Right now it is a voluntary program and I am sure we country folk would put up quite a fight if it were made mandatory in a period of calm. But just wait until a perceived crisis occurrs and watch this program mandated. I will look into the EU's version of this program. I hope it is more evenly geared to the average small livestock holder, rather than the USDA NAIS program which is geared toward hugh agribusiness.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #50
Head Chef

I'm real new to this issue, but from the reading I have done it seems to me that the voluntary aspect is intended to be temporary.
The following is from this USDA site.
Quote:
Q. Will This be a Mandatory Program?
A.
USDA and its cooperators are working toward developing a national program that will allow us to rapidly track animals exposed to a disease concern and that will meet the needs of animal owners, animal industries, domestic and international markets, and consumers. The system needs to be tested to be sure it is effective and workable. While the NAIS is being developed and refined, producer participation will be voluntary. As the system continues to take shape and is tested for all livestock and food animals, USDA will reassess the need for making some or all aspects of the program mandatory. Some States, such as Wisconsin, have passed laws to make certain components of an animal identification program mandatory in areas under their purview.
Eventually, USDA may move toward a requirement for mandatory premises and animal identification for all species included in the system. If USDA does decide to make all or parts of the NAIS mandatory, we will follow the normal rulemaking process. The public will have the opportunity to comment upon any proposed regulations. Return

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote