"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh...don't get me wrong Damp...

I'll show up next time. I'm scared not to. But, I won't go with a smile on my face. I'll be frowning just like the 300 other people sitting there. :)

Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

Its really hard to get out of federal jury duty. You could be empaneled on a federal grand jury or trial that would last MONTHS if not weeks. You need a better excuse to get out of jury duty - a financial hardship or if your employer could write a letter saying you are too important to the business to be away from work - that might fly.

Southern District of Ohio, huh? My neck of the woods. Most of the judges are nice but there are a couple of crusty old crabs too.

good luck -

Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Thanks, Toots. I'm not trying to get out of jury duty, I think it'd be pretty cool to be a Juror but I made a promise to my friends to take care of their dogs, the Yellow Lab needs 22 ccs of Humulin twice daily as well as letting them out when they need to relieve themselves. I hope the Justice will understand.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Cook

Knock on wood. I've never been called, and hope never to be called. Heard way too many stories about how the 'system' is set up to waste as much of your time as possible, and they don't even pretend to treat you halfway decently. I sweat and bleed for my vacation days. It may be a terrible thing to say, but I don't want to waste them going through that process. I'd do my duty, and endeavor to do it well - but I'd strongly prefer that it not come to that.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I served on jury duty once. I found it interesting actually, but then again I like that sort of thing. You wont be paid much. Civic duty is good.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Update on the Grand Jury fiasco, if anyone is interested:

After mailing the forms, I went over the packet to make sure I did everything correctly for peace of mind. I did but I noticed something odd. In my haste to get everything mailed off, I addressed my letter to Judge Kiearny. Unfortunately, Judge Kiearny is not the sitting judge. He's the guy the Federal court house is named after and is also deceased. I hope the good Judge Bollini has a sense of humor.

Nice move, moron. Can inmates use computers in jail?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I was called to serve on a Federal Jury in Dallas a couple of years ago. I just showed up, they asked a couple of questions, and I was selected.

The trial lasted 5 days, the pay was $40.00 a day and I think they paid the parking.

I didn't think it was much different thean regular jusry duty, its just the Federal Judge is a little scary, very stern fellow.

later
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

Just remember that a GRAND JURY is a lot different than a "regular" jury.

A grand jury is not involved in a trial. A grand jury hears evidence presented by the prosecution in order to determine if the evidence is sufficient to indict someone. The process is very different than a trial.

I've never been empaneled on a grand jury but usually they serve for a time certain (eg, a month) but do not have to show up every day -- just when they are needed.

I have been on several other juries and found the experience to be very interesting.