"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #41
Executive Chef

The commentary here in the UK at both the Czech and Italian matches kept mentioning that the corruption scandal has not gone away and that it is expected that proceedings will be ongoing. That's an awful lot of pressure to add to the pressure that those Serie A players are under just by competing in Germany.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #42
Master Chef

I've read about that in a magazine just today..
they were all allowed to come to Germany... I'm not sure if that is right but otherwise there are no decisions made yet...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
To be honest I was a bit surprised that certain players were allowed to join the national team and play in the world cup. (though I must admit they are rather indispensable if the team Italy were to go anywhere in this tournament...)
And I feel sorry for the other uninvolved players that so much negative air has to be hanging around with them at this stage... I just hope if just for the cup they put all the negatives aside and rise to the occasion...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #44
Executive Chef

It's not as if we don't know that FIFA are a corrupt organisation themselves!! That's probably WHY the players were allowed to go to the world cup.

Nedved is one of those accused, or so the UK press have said.... We had our own gambling scandal in football a few years ago, and the ex-Liverpool Goalie, Bruce Grobelaar, was one of the accused.

Wouldn't you think that with the HUGE, inflated salaries that they all earn, they would think that they should be immune to diving and deliberately losing matches?

Not directly to do with the worldcup but another football disgrace is the British charity SoccerAid which recently held a series of matches in the UK with the proceeds going to UNICEF. It was fronted by Robbie Williams, the ex-Take That singer. The TV programme proudly announced that all the money would go to children's charities. The police, the TV people, the stewards, all gave their time free. But it has been alleged in some of the UK press that some of the players (all overseas) were PAID.... 'Hand of God' Maradona was reputed to be paid 100,000 POUNDS to take part..... now rumours are that it was more like 250K pounds. And he was certainly not alone, according to 'informed sources'.... This is money given by UK football supporters to the charity. I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.

Please note that I state 'alleged' in all of the above.... this is only what I've read in UK papers!

There.... rant over...... I feel MUCH better now!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.

Please note that I state 'alleged' in all of the above.... this is only what I've read in UK papers!

There.... rant over...... I feel MUCH better now!

what a pity, if you know he is a child of the slums himself and just found his way out by a miracle and good football play..
I hope it's not true...

And I'm warming up for Swiss - France
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Wouldn't you think that with the HUGE, inflated salaries that they all earn, they would think that they should be immune to diving and deliberately losing matches?
My thoughts, exactly...

Quote:
Not directly to do with the worldcup but another football disgrace is the British charity SoccerAid which recently held a series of matches in the UK with the proceeds going to UNICEF. It was fronted by Robbie Williams, the ex-Take That singer. The TV programme proudly announced that all the money would go to children's charities. The police, the TV people, the stewards, all gave their time free. But it has been alleged in some of the UK press that some of the players (all overseas) were PAID.... 'Hand of God' Maradona was reputed to be paid 100,000 POUNDS to take part..... now rumours are that it was more like 250K pounds. And he was certainly not alone, according to 'informed sources'.... This is money given by UK football supporters to the charity. I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.?
What a pity such a thing had to happen.. that's why you always have to be careful when you make your contribution to a charity, and make sure your money is going to where it supposed to go....
Old 06-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Commentators

When they were talking about the game yesterday that is all they were mentioning was the trouble everyone was having. People just can't play the games they used to. Or was it prevelant before and we just didn't know about it? Seems all the best players are never satisfied with being the best they want more. It really hurts to know that this goes on. Being involved in soccer when I was married got to hear more than I cared to. At least it wasn't something about losing game intentionally. Doesn't that take something away from the game? Now I question whether US intentionally lost to other team. Who really knows. Lot of standing around.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Oh, I don't think the US team intentionally lost the game, they just weren't as good as their opponents!

Cara - you are right, the knowledge that he was a poor kid from the slums makes it all the more sickening that he would accept monies from the charity BTW, Switzerland 0 - France 0.... WHAT a disappointment from the likes of Zidane, Henry, Viera etc...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #49
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I'm turning into a football fan, I went to the England v. hungary friendly at Old Trafford on May31st (I think it was) it was fantastic. I am sooooooooo in love with Rio Ferdinand! (yes I have weird taste in men - just ask dh hehehe)

But, being Australian my first allegiance is to our Socceroos, and in fact I had the day off on Monday and watched the game. I take full credit for the three goals at the end of the game, I was shouting so loud!!

But when Oz get knocked out (she says pessimistically) I shall take my Aussie flag out of the window and replace with with the St George's Cross!

We have drawn Holland at work as our team. We have to decorate our desks with all things The Netherlands! So we are temporarily Oranjes, sorry!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #50
Executive Chef

I thought the socceroos did well, Kyles. Especially Cahill. Kewell and others are well-known to the UK because they play over here.

Listen, at least Australia made the finals. We didn't Still, got to cheer for T&T on Thursday!

As for Holland.... sorry, Cara, I'm still secretly backing them.