Flu Shots-yes or no??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did when I was teaching school, and I'll be getting them for my kiddos. Especially my son because he seems to get everything and it hits him hard! (Always gets to his lungs).

:) I get them when it's convenient the shots have never made me sick. Have not had a shot in the last 3-4 years but when I know the flu is going around I bulk up on certain supplements especially when I go to town and so have also not gotten the flu for many years I also have not gotten a cold in ages but I think that is because where I live I'm not around a lot of people. I'm sure if I lived in town I would get sick more often.

This year was my first flu shot and eventhough I have had the flu in the past I always shrugged it off. But! January I turn 70 and the older one gets the higher the risk I'm told so I got one in September. It was suggested that I look at it this way - I'm a Hospice volunteer and obviously visiting very sick people, often elderly, on their final passage toward death. It wouldn't be right for me to unknowingly bring the start of flu to them.

They say frequent hand-washing is right up there as a way to avoid getting the flu. Just think...the person pushing that grocery cart before you may have sneezed into his hand and then put it on the handle.
Now, they're saying to avoid the anti-bacterial soaps, as they kill all the good bacteria.

Nope - never have gotten one for me or any of us. Since my kids are homeschooled, I think we're at reduced risk for the flu. And I'm a big believer in good nutrition, adequate sleep, adequate exercise and lots of hugs and kisses to keep our immune systems at peak performance. :)

Nope, don't do it. Can't stand needles first off, so that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. Everyone I know that got the shots got sick. I can't tell you the last time I ever got the flu, much less a cold. No thanks!!! I seem to do just fine without them.

And I'm a big believer in good nutrition, adequate sleep, adequate exercise and lots of hugs and kisses to keep our immune systems at peak performance. :)

Agree! I will also add that I think the more stuff (preventatives, antibiotics, etc...) that you take, the more it cheats your body of the ability to do it on it's own.

I was forced to get them in the Air force and used to get sick right afterward each time (4 years in a row). Have not had one in 35 years and get by just fine. BTW, I take supplements which have shown to significantly reduce the down time on the few occasions I pick up a bug.

I was forced to get them in the Air force and used to get sick right afterward each time (4 years in a row). Have not had one in 35 years and get by just fine. BTW, I take supplements which have shown to significantly reduce the down time on the few occasions I pick up a bug.
I think you're right about the supplements, Joe. I rarely get sick and neither do my kids but when we do, it's always pretty mild and short-lived.

It's sort of off topic but I really don't think of the occasional virus or bug as a bad thing. Instead, I think it helps boost our immune system, too. But we are also lucky in that when someone gets sick in my house, they can go to bed and someone will take good care of them until they are well. Lots of people have to go to work or school even when they are sick and I think it slows their recovery.

I've had a flu shot once, and that was at a workplace and they were fairly insistent that we all got them so I just went along and got it.

So for the rest of my life I've never had the shots and only ever had the flu twice (and yes, it was the flu, not a cold and I was bed ridden for 3 days at least each time).

I don't consider myself to be in a high risk category so I don't plan on getting them any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom