"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

Um... I think he may have egg on his face cause we're still here!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Um... I think he may have egg on his face cause we're still here!
Actually he means next Thursday.So guess what? You don't need to fix all the stuff in your house. He says if you are not a member of his church you surely will perish. He has made predictions before and they did not happen. He made up his own religion crossing two religions together. Oh, and by the way his nick name is Buffalo Bill he was a former cop and trailer park manager. He is another one from Texas. Why do most cults seem to sprout in Texas one of the most conservative states in the country?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Master Chef

You mean I have to wait it out all the way until next Thursday before I can laugh at him? Well, let's hope he doesn't pass out any cool-aid!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Mav, as a hedge against inflation, why not? When the rice you bought at $1.29 a pound goes to $1.89 a pound, then you won't have to pay the inflated price if you bought enough. Of course, when the rice you bought at $1.29 a pound runs out, it may have inflated to $2.29 a pound. You've still saved a little money. DH and I have talked about this quite alot, especially when we read not long ago that Costco in the US was restricting purchasers of their big (20 lb? 50 lb?) bags of rice to one per customer. Mexico, I think, is pretty self-sufficient when it comes to food, i.e., they don't import as much as the US. So when we went to the grocery store, we started looking at bags of rice. ALL of it was a product of the Estados Unidos Americanos (EUA/USA). Hmmm. Maybe we should start buying rice. Of course, storing it long term in this climate would be a challenge.
My reason is because we live so far from town and I am not hoarding but I'm just picking up a couple of extra of this and that when its on sale. So I am in no way making a dent in Americas food supply and if I make a good stock of food then good for me. I think people in the city might have a bigger problem if truckers decide to go on strike. The gas prices just seem to get higher every few days. In case no one has noticed it's not like the 1970s when then they changed speed limits to conserve gas and the lines at the gas station were long.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

We 'integrate' everything. We go to the bank when it is on the way from our house to one of her clients houses. Same with the grocery store, everything is planned out this way so we don't go out of our way for anything. And yea, if the truckers go on strike things are going to get pretty bad around here very quickly!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We 'integrate' everything. We go to the bank when it is on the way from our house to one of her clients houses. Same with the grocery store, everything is planned out this way so we don't go out of our way for anything. And yea, if the truckers go on strike things are going to get pretty bad around here very quickly!
Truckers are protesting all over the world because of gas prices so maybe we should be some what prepared.Just in case. Not only that but people are losing their jobs every day so a bit of groceries is not a bad thing to have.