"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Food Gifts, faves to give or receive

I still have a herb garden, the only edible stuff grown on our 1/4 acre these days and because they pretty much take care of themselves with an occasional groom, they are happy.
Herbs are also my best friends when we get invited out for dinner. I always take a bunch to our first time hosts and it is amazing just how wrapt people are at receiving them! Ok, Im not a cheapskate ( lolol) its just that so many of my busy friends do not have a herb garden, except for maybe a parsley plant at the back door and a mint on a windowsill. My days of herb vinegars are long gone tho'...must get back to that as I see most people cannot even get tarragon vinegar anymore. Has it gone out of fashion?

Anyways, I take my ribbon wrapped, huge bunch of herbs and a card with some idea's for using them in different ways. They look great in a vase also.
On other occasions, I have made a batch of old fashioned biscuits or cake and put them/it into an original retro tin ( I collect the tins) Many times we have spent ages yapping about the tin, the cake we remember etc.
Have given away countless jars of Curds...Passionfruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit that everyone has loved. Its amazing how many do not take the time to make something so simple as a curd.

The best things I have received have been cuts of meat from farmer friends, real ' homekill' as we say and full of flavour. Especially blackface hogget...yum.
And venison or wild pork. An occasional trout, paua ( swoon) or crayfish when our coastal friends visit. I can and do buy these things regularly ( except for trout which cannot be sold in NZ)for the business, but to have
them given to us at home is very different!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Awwe, thats nice of you, when I was a kid our neighbores who gardened would give away tons of herbs to everyone for free just because they were nice.
The best food gift I've ever gotten would probably be a basket of Harry And David products I got for Christmas. It had I think salmon jerkey and some moosemunch and chocolate covered blueberries and assorted Jams and coffee. Oh, and good cheese.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Hiya BB.....ummm, can you explain Moosemunch?? I am having all kinds of visions here!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
Master Chef

Me too, Lynan, and I want to know what curds are (cottage cheese?).
Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
Me too, Lynan, and I want to know what curds are (cottage cheese?).
lol..Curds in this case are otherwise called Honeys or Butters.
The ingredients are a citrus fruit juice and rind for eg, cooked with eggs, sugar and butter in a double boiler. Can be held in the fridge for a reasonable length of time.
Im certain you have the same, just a different name??
Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Cook

They can't sell trout in NZ why? That's a new one on me. Had some smashing golden trout about a week ago.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
lol..Curds in this case are otherwise called Honeys or Butters.
The ingredients are a citrus fruit juice and rind for eg, cooked with eggs, sugar and butter in a double boiler. Can be held in the fridge for a reasonable length of time.
Im certain you have the same, just a different name??

Lynan,

No, I'm not sure what you are referring to. What do you use it for?? Sounds mighty good, however.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Sous Chef

There is nothing like a good lemon curd. The sweet buttery tartness is an excellent foil for a rich main course. What's more, lemon curd is not difficult to make, it just requires a little patience. The same recipe can be used for making a fresh lime curd or orange curd. I like to use it as the centre of a baked pastry shell and serve it with fresh strawberries or raspberries. Alternatively it is delicious with Pavlova. The curd can also be used just as a spread on bread. For a quick dessert, I fold it through softly whipped cream or mascarpone.
The fresh curd will keep for several weeks in a refrigerator if sealed in a sterilised jar. At my home it would'nt last nearly that long. If you keep it in a bowl in the fridge you do need to ensure it is well covered with plastic film as the curd readily absorbs the flavours of the fridge.
Over the years I have tried numerous recipes but I always go back to Stephanie Alexander's very reliable formula.
Stephanie's Lemon Curd
2 large lemons
100g unsalted butter
175g sugar
3 eggs lighty whipped and strained
Finely grate zest and juice lemons. In a heavy based saucepan, combine, butter, lemon juice, zest and sugar. Stir constantly over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the eggs off the hear and stir well. Cook the mixture over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until it has thickened. Do not allow to boil or it will curdle.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Ooops, that was a C&P and I should mention, its best made in a double boiler unless you are confident with eggs over direct heat
Old 08-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
Sous Chef

http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/SITE_D...and_salmon.asp

Re Scotty's question/comment about trout not being allowed to be sold in NZ.

Darned shame it is too!