"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I feel nausious looking at that.
+1 eewwwwwww

Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Packaging & Foods That Are A Turn Off

Good Morning.

Interesting and controversial post, of importance. Thank you for posting.

From my viewpoint, layers of horrid thick plastic packaging is far more a turn off than anything else.

I do have to say, that the word "Fear" is a bit strong of a word, considering terrorist attacks run rampant in EU countries that are members of NATO & THE UN, with hits on innocent citizens in train stations, public bldgs, hotels and bus stations, which I fear, far worse than, the private selection of intelligent purchasing power of products; I do avoid like the plague anyway ...

I have two grown daughters ( 29 and 30 ) who are Moms too, would be most difficult considering my I was only born in 1962.

TURN OFFS for me in general are products with Wilted Greens or Herbs garnishing a Grey off colored Cement Looking Block of horrid,
Unsustainable Soy krap called Tofu or its equivalents. This is Gross.

I am far more concerned with Additives in packaged foods, and thus, here in the Mediterranean, I infrequently buy at the mass market supermarkets. I prefer to pay a bit more, and go to the Central Markets - sort of similar to a Farmerīs Market with Butchers, Fish Mongers and Farmers, and where everything is fresh, just caught and locally grown or raised.

Have nice weekend.
Margaux Cintrano.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #23
Head Chef

Microwave popcorn--or anything with 'artificial butter flavor'--that stuff smells awful and tastes worse. Any cello-wrapped pastry.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I agree with Margi that fear is not the right word.

There are lots of things at the supermarket that I just don't consider food. I tend to just skip over them. Once in a while I will pick one up and read the ingredients and think "ew!".
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Canned asparagus, jarred herring, jarred pickles, jarred spaghetti sauce, most canned fruits, canned corned beef, most Cross & Blackwell products, canned octopus...
I see we agree on most canned and jarred foods.

A good rule of thumb when shopping at the market, is to shop the outer parameters of same - fresh produce, seafood, dairy, bakery, etc. The center aisles, for the most part, are stocked with packaged, canned foods. I do buy certain items from the center of the market, staples, pasta & sundries, etc. The big markets here have a fresh bakery, deli etc. Personally, I would not buy food from Wal-mart - or packaged sandwich lunchmeat. Slimy & disgusting.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Canned peas. I once picked an entire can of petit pois out of a salad at a restaurant. The owner thought it was for the person I was with, a friend of the owner, and added them to be nice. Yuck. I did give one a try.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Canned peas. I once picked an entire can of petit pois out of a salad at a restaurant. The owner thought it was for the person I was with, a friend of the owner, and added them to be nice. Yuck. I did give one a try.
I grew up on those. My overworked, underpaid, mom fed us those and green(grey) beans from a can. Love my mom more than anything. Hated those veggies more than anything.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I grew up on those. My overworked, underpaid, mom fed us those and green(grey) beans from a can. Love my mom more than anything. Hated those veggies more than anything.
I feel the same way about my parents, they did the best they could with what they had. Years later I found out my Mom and Dad often went to bed hungry and their children...never.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Most supermarkets have an aisle I'll call "side dishes". It consists of various envelopes or boxes of starches and seasoning powders that, when reconstituted, allegedly make things somewhat reminiscent of pasta, rice, or stuffing. Most of these things bear little resemblance to the real foods they are modeled after.

If you plan a meal, it takes such little time to create most of these dishes from scratch, so I've never understood the reasoning behind buying this boxed/packaged crap. They aren't really all that convenient. I won't even go into the chemicals they contain.

Let's take boxed hash browns, for example. You mix this with water and cook in a frying pan for 20 minutes..

In that same amount of time, you can grate three potatoes and fry up a batch of crispy fresh hash browns that taste a thousand times better. Why would you go for the box?

I navigate a wide berth around this aisle.
I know what you mean! Someone gave me a box of Hamburger Helper several years ago. Not only was it so salty it was pretty much inedible, but it would have been much simpler to make from scratch!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a 1.5 quart baking dish. Just the right size for scalloped potatoes for one. I haven't had them for ages.