"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Fruit Flies

okay, can anyone help me pleaseeeeeeee!
I have fruit flies in the kitchen.
I have had the condo fumigator in and all he did was give me traps....which I don't think worked too well.
I use cider vinegar with a splash of dish detergent in a small glass dish....it gets them....they're around for maybe 4-5 days. Then they are away and I think "Hooray!!:....but, they come back.....so, I'm sorta thinking they lay eggs, then they're killed off with the cider vinegar, then after awhile the eggs hatch and they're back....I don't know what else to do....I've sprayed under cupboards..taken the kick plate off of them under the sink, move the stove and clean up, it's never really dirty back there....so again I'll say....please help.....thank you so much....in advance

Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Sous Chef

They could also be coming in from outside. Another place they like to lay eggs is in drains. Try keeping drains covered when not in use. Keep the traps around in inconspicuous places, since you say they work. Other than that, there is not a whole lot you can do... Sounds like you've already tried quite a bit to get rid of them :(

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I had this problem last year and it was bad. Reeeeal bad..... The town grocer was real bad, too. I'm sure that's where I dragged all the eggs in from. That'll teach me to keep fresh fruit around, lol. They were even inside the fresh bread I was buying.
Take a jar or glass and put some banana peel inside, then stretch some plastic wrap over the top. Use a rubber band if you need to, to keep the plastic stretched tight. Then take a round toothpick and poke some holes in the plastic wrap. You might have to wiggle the toothpick a little bit. You are making holes that the flies will be able to go into, but not get out. I was amazed at how many fruit flies I was catching. My problem all but disappeared and then cleared up when the cold weather set in. And the store must have done something on their end, also.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Everymom

ella, do you have plants in the kitchen? They could be white fly and not fruit flies if that is the case. For white fly if you put a little dish detergent in the water before you water your plants it will coat the soil and kill the little buggers.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Okay dear friends.....no plants in the kitchen.....it's winter here in Toronto, so cold enuf that they're not keeping warm in weather. I covered the drains in the kitchen just before we went out, and when we came back in there were a few flying around. We live in a large condo....I haven't heard of anyone else having this trouble....so obviously they're laying eggs, if that's what fruit flies do...LOL.....and after the big ones are dead, the others are then hatched....or whatever.....very, very frustrating.....I just put out some fresh cider vinegar with a dollop of d.w.liquid....I'll try the banana thing when we next have a banana.....
Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

Another tried and true tip (learned this working in a bar) is to fill a small spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and spray the buggers. They drop dead. The rubbing alcohol is much safer than any commercial bug spray and it evaporates really quickly. We would also use a clean bar towel soaked in our bleach / water bucket and lay them over the drains at the bar area (the sink, the beer-tap drain trough and the drain in the bottom of the ice reach) at the end of each night.

They despise basil, so keep a basil plant in your kitchen if possible. Bonus: being able to pinch off a leaf or two at whim to throw into your scrambled eggs!

This one I've not tried but one of my girlfriends swears by it. She says that fruit flies hate lavender as well. She either burns lavender oil in one of those little diffuser things that uses a tea-light to heat the oil or she soaks a bit of sponge in lavender oil and sets it out on the counter.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Fruit flies in the middle of winter in Toronto seems odd. I would wonder where they are coming from. Could there be some neighbor condo dwellers that are out of town who might have left fruit out? If there is an infestation in a neighboring unit, that could make it difficult for you to get rid if them.

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Head Chef

Could be sewer flies instead of fruit flies. Don't freak out--they don't really come up out of the sewers, but they do lay eggs in the gunk just inside your drains. Try pouring lots of boiling water down into every drain in the place.

I get them here in Missouri in the spring, but I haven't seen any yet this year.

Sewer flies are a little bigger than fruit flies, darker colored, and their wings make them look round, instead of fly shaped, if that makes any sense.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

They are not coming in from the outside Miss Ella....You brought the eggs in from the grocery..more than likely on some fruits or vegetable...They mate and reproduce every 7-10 days!!!!!...HERE are some tips. HTH!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Take a jar or glass and put some banana peel inside, then stretch some plastic wrap over the top. Use a rubber band if you need to, to keep the plastic stretched tight. Then take a round toothpick and poke some holes in the plastic wrap. You might have to wiggle the toothpick a little bit. You are making holes that the flies will be able to go into, but not get out.
We occasionally have a fruit fly problem because we always have at least 3 or 4 kinds of fruit around in big wire baskets in the kitchen.

I use a similar method as pacanis does, but instead of plastic wrap I shape a piece of typing paper into a cone, large enough for it to fit snugly into the opening of a pint canning jar. Then, I snip off just a bit of the point, place the cone (point end down) into my jar with a banana peel. Don't let the cone touch the peel. Same idea. The flies get in but can't get out. We essentially cleared up our fruit fly problem in a flash.

The flies don't die. They are simply trapped and I take the contraption outside onto the porch and shake them out into Mother Nature's world. Reload with another banana peel and wait to ambush more of the little critters.

There's no smell or any mess to deal with.

Tags
fruit