"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
I think I may have told this story somewhere before, but if I did, it bears retelling. a newly married friend of mine and his bride went out to dine at a ritzy restaurant one night. upon finishing their exquisite meal, the young wife asked to have a remaining duck leg packaged up to take with her. the waiter condescendingly replied, 'we don't give out doggie bags at this restaurant.' upon which the young lady stood up, grabbed the duck leg off her dinner plate, shook it at the waiter, and countered, 'oh yeah? just watch me!' as she exited the restaurant, with her husband at her side, smiling and supporting her elbow on their way out....:)

I think he said one of the tables applauded them....
Excuse me vit, but we're all baring our souls here. What about YOU? The friends' story is nice but what about YOUR story? You have to have one!

Or wait...could it be...were YOU the bride in ^the^ story???

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This was back in the '60's when kids were seen but not heard.
Also back in the '60s when we were driving from California to Missouri, we stopped at a cafe somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico. My sister and I went to the restroom together (I think we were 7 and 8). Imagine the looks we got as we burst out of the restroom yelling, "Mama, Daddy, there's a big black cockroach in the bathroom!"

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was in college, I had a job as a waitress at a restaurant at the Naval Air Station. One evening I was carrying a large tray of dishes and bent over slightly to pick up an empty plate from a table. The dishes on the tray started to slide and it almost tipped over onto a woman's head. As I tried to get control of it, I caught her husband's eye - his eyes widened as he realized what was about to happen. At the last moment, after a big dip, I was able to balance the tray and get back to the kitchen without hurting anyone. Whew!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Master Chef

Mine is also as a waitress. A pretty high end steak house. I was bringing a tray of condiments to go with a baked potato, and they slid off my tray, the container of sour cream landing on a woman's (very expensive) shoes.

Once we were at an NCO club for a pizza. That is to say, my parents, my sibs, and a friend. I was 17 or so I think. We waited and waited and waited and .... a waiter appeared with a tray with 7 glasses of ice water, which he proceeded to over-balance and pour down my father's neck. At this point my parents hadn't gotten their drinks, we hadn't gotten our sodas. The only thing the wait staff had brought to our table had been poured down my father's back. My father stood and said that he'd walked out of better places and we all marched out. At the time I was a teenager and it embarassed me. Now, of course, i'd do the same. Not that the kid screwed up, but it had been easily a half hour of no service at all.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had a similar experience to Addie's. When I was out to dinner with my husband, celebrating a large tax refund, we went to an unfamiliar place where I ordered a lobster.

When it was served, it stunk. It had gone bad, it certainly hadn't been alive when it was cooked. The cook came out and tried to argue with me that it was good, but I know bad seafood when I smell it.

We left. I wasn't about to make myself sick or give the argumentative cook another chance at me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I had a similar experience to Addie's. When I was out to dinner with my husband, celebrating a large tax refund, we went to an unfamiliar place where I ordered a lobster.

When it was served, it stunk. It had gone bad, it certainly hadn't been alive when it was cooked. The cook came out and tried to argue with me that it was good, but I know bad seafood when I smell it.

We left. I wasn't about to make myself sick or give the argumentative cook another chance at me.
If you don't know your seafood, then don't order it. The worst day to order it is on a Monday. It is what was unloaded from the boats on Friday, so you know it isn't fresh. Bad seafood can make you so sick, one minute you think you are going to die, and the next you are hoping that you will.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Wine Guy

In 2005, we took a trip to Paris for DW's 40th birthday. Also along was our then 12 year old daughter, who we brought with us because we thought it would be educational to expose expose her to new experiences. First night there, we were hungry and a little jet-lagged, so we wandered down the street from the hotel to a place called Le Florimond that had been recommended by guy at the front desk. Noticing that our tourist French was not all that good, he added that the owner and waitstaff spoke decent English, so we shouldn't have any problems.

The restaurant turned out to be a nice little place. Bright and cheery and not too expensive. I ordered the veal special and Mrs. K had a chicken dish. Our daughter looked at the menu and asked "What is crepinette de veau?" Taking a guess, I told her that "crepinette" sounded like some sort of small crepe, and that I was pretty certain "veau" was veal.

When the waiter came to take our order, our daughter proudly announced she would have the crepinette de veau. The waiter sort of paused and gave my wife and I a look that said "are you sure?" When he got nothing but puzzled looks back from us, he then asked our daughter "You do know that you are ordering sweetbreads?"

I looked across the able at her and, trying not to raise too much of a panic, said "I'm not sure you would like that, honey."

Well, I think all she heard were the words "sweet" and "bread" and thought it sounded wonderful. So she said "yes, that's what I would like."

A short while later, out comes a plate covered with little fried chunks of veal brains/glands/parts slathered in brown gravy. The look on her face was priceless. She asked "What is this? Where are my crepes?" (We found out later that "crepinette" mean "folds", as in the folds of brain tissue. Go figure.)

I have to admit that she was a real trooper. Even after I explained to her that her dinner was made from a baby cow's organs, she said she would try to eat it anyway.

I think she had two bites before I traded her for my veal cutlet. I couldn't really be mad at her, because it was my poor French that caused the problem. As it turned out, the dish itself wasn't bad at all. Kind of a weird texture, but good flavor. Just goes to show that a little gravy makes almost anything edible.

She told the story to her class the following week, and she still tells it to this day.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Mine is also as a waitress. A pretty high end steak house. I was bringing a tray of condiments to go with a baked potato, and they slid off my tray, the container of sour cream landing on a woman's (very expensive) shoes...
I was on the receiving end of a server's slip, but fortunately it landed on my casual pants and not on expensive shoes.

Some friends treated me to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. When we were almost finished the server was clearing some dishes and dropped a big cup of bright red/orange sweet and sour sauce into my lap. She was so worried, and my friends were looking at me like they expected me to explode. I saw it for what it was, an accident, and spent most of the time reassuring the poor girl that it was an accident and was everything was ok.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I was on the receiving end of a server's slip, but fortunately it landed on my casual pants and not on expensive shoes.

Some friends treated me to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. When we were almost finished the server was clearing some dishes and dropped a big cup of bright red/orange sweet and sour sauce into my lap. She was so worried, and my friends were looking at me like they expected me to explode. I saw it for what it was, an accident, and spent most of the time reassuring the poor girl that it was an accident and was everything was ok.
You are a class act Barb.

Thumbs up!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
You are a class act Barb.

Thumbs up!
Awwww! Thank you. I just try to treat others how I would like to be treated.